2010 Events for the Southeast and Texas

Started by Kevin Blank, February 02, 2010, 10:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Blank

This is just a request, but I was hoping the events for the rest of the Southeast circuit and Texas circuit could be put on the calendar as soon as possible.  Being I'm right smack in the middle of the two (Slidell, LA) it takes some more planning for vacation time, etc. to bring the boat over and I'd like to do a little one-design this year.

Kevin

Jeff Jones

Kevin, great to hear from you!!!  I had no idea there were any vipers in LA - we need to talk!

The Texas / OK calender is being worked on.  One issue we have is that two of the most active Yacht Clubs have yet to solidify their racing calender.   

The seasons going to start out with Lakefest, 3-day regatta on Lake Texoma.  It's the second weekend in April. 

Please PM me with your contact info and we'll get you on our local email list.

Jay Harrell

The Southeast calendar is also still being worked, but right now looks like this:

Spring--
Feb: Charlotte Harbor
Mar: Miami NAs
April: Charleston Race Week
May: Savannah (exact date is still TBD)

Summer--
June: suggestions?
July and August: hot and windless.

Fall--
September: labor day at Lake Norman and/or Savannah has a race that month as well
October: Lake Lanier
November: Lake Norman

Phillip Davis

We're thinking of putting on a weekend in Corpus Christi July 17-18th.  Guarantee it will be hot and WINDY

Kevin Blank

For June, if people would be interested in a little trip to the white beaches of the Florida panhandle, I'm planning on attending the Bowlegs Regatta at Fort Walton Yacht Club.  Last year they did a one-design fleet for the J-22s.  I'm good friends with a number of the members and fleet captain over there, so I'm pretty sure they could accommodate separate scoring for a Viper 640 class if we had 4 or more boats.  It's a great place to sail and there's usually a good sea breeze when most other places in the South are 0-2 knots.

Kevin Blank

My guy from Fort Walton Yacht Club says if we show up with a class of 5 boats, we'll get our own course and scoring. 

Jay Harrell

June 12-13?  Sounds like something I would like to do if I can work it around the family schedule.  Is there an NOR out yet?

Quote from: Snake Spit on February 17, 2010, 06:35:54 PM
For June, if people would be interested in a little trip to the white beaches of the Florida panhandle, I'm planning on attending the Bowlegs Regatta at Fort Walton Yacht Club.  Last year they did a one-design fleet for the J-22s.  I'm good friends with a number of the members and fleet captain over there, so I'm pretty sure they could accommodate separate scoring for a Viper 640 class if we had 4 or more boats.  It's a great place to sail and there's usually a good sea breeze when most other places in the South are 0-2 knots.

Kevin Blank

Yep, June 12 and 13.  I don't think the NOR is put together yet, but I will be meeting up with some of the FWYC people this weekend at a regatta here in New Orleans and I'll post details for anyone that is interested.

Jeff Jones

Looks like i may be able to make that one too.  Please send us details when you can.

In the meantime it looks like we're going to fleet at this regatta - you may want to consider a trip.
http://texomalakefest.com/

Kevin Blank

I would love to make it over for Lakefest, but I'm already committed for the Corsair Trimaran Nationals that same weekend.  Looks like Lakefest would be a real hoot.

Jeff Jones

Snake Pit, looks like i'm in for the Fort Walton regatta, send details.

Kevin Blank

I don't have a lot of details until the NOR is published, but this is what I have.  Maybe we can get this on the Southeast Circuit calendar on the main site...

Bowlegs Regatta
June 12-13, 2010
Fort Walton Yacht Club (www.fwyc.org)
Fort Walton Beach, FL

We will be in the PHRF fleet unless 5 boats can show up where we will get our own scoring and possibly our own course, depending on what the race committee decides. They have a back-down ramp which works well for launching.  They also have a lift setup for anyone who doesn't want to dunk their trailer.

Billy Bowlegs is a pirate from local pirate lore and this regatta coincides with the town's celebration.  I believe the club is having a pirate costume contest, grog contest, etc. after the races on Saturday.  Fort Walton is located right on Choctawhatchee Bay just west of Destin, FL.  Destin is approx. 15 minutes away so if you need to send the wife shopping for the day...  There's some good hotels on Santa Rosa Island which is right across the Intercoastal from Fort Walton.  If you're on a little more of a budget, I recommend the Marina Bay Resort (www.marinabayfla.com).  Decent prices and decent rooms, plus it's about 5 minutes away from the yacht club.  There's some other good hotels on Highway 98 also close to downtown and the yacht club.

Glenn Vanheel

Quote from: ultraracer613um on February 21, 2010, 08:24:36 PM
Snake Pit, looks like i'm in for the Fort Walton regatta, send details.
need crew? i might be interested. i have family on pensacola beach. about 10-15 miles from ft. walton. we can probably stay there.
F'ing Walker!

Jeff Jones

Hey Glen, that might work out perfectly!   Let's discuss it when the event gets closer.

You can bring that case of beer i left in the back of your truck :-)

J

Glenn Vanheel

You can bring that case of beer i left in the back of your truck :-)

J
[/quote]
what case?
F'ing Walker!