2011 Proposal

Started by Tim Carter, August 05, 2009, 03:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Carter

OK, us left coasters want to start formulating a proposal to host the 2011 Viper N.A.'s in California @ Alamitos Bay Yacht Club..

I know were 2 years away, but it never hurts to start thinking eary..

I would like to go to the club with a estimated boat count.  I want to be conservative / realistic.... I am thinking we could possibly draw 18-25 boats, but that will take a serious push from all of you "Sparkplugs"

Think Labor Day time frame, the N.A.'s would follow the Club Labor Day Regatta

Labor Day Regatta Sept 3-4... This would be the Viper West Coast Champs
Viper North Americans Sept 7-10

Race Sat/Sun for WCC
Lay Day Mon
Tues Registration
Wed Practice
Thur-Sat N.A.
Pack up Sun...Go Home.... 6 days Racing / 2 Regattas / 1 Trip

THIS IS VERY PRELIMINARY !!!!   Just asking Questions
Lt Coast Gov

Drew Harper

That would be GREAT Timbo. There's perhaps not a better spot in the West for Vipers than ABYC and speaking from recent experience, there's not a better club to run this event. The ABYC portion of Long Beach Race Week was simply awesome. Best Party, Best Food, best Location, Best Band, easy launch and recovery, secure, central and moments from the starting area. They run one hell of a regatta. Frankly, I think it's a better spot than Charleston...IMHO.

I think we might try to woo the Texas boys out for this.

Any idea on storage solutions for those having to dash back for work or family commitments? My idea is this. Both Texas and AZ boats get freakin cooked in the summer. Let's have them leave their boats in Cal for the Spring and sail with us in 2011. The economy will have healed up and we'll all be much less worried about our jobs.

What do ya'll think?

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Glenn Vanheel

Quote from: Timbo on August 05, 2009, 03:05:11 PM
OK, us left coasters want to start formulating a proposal to host the 2011 Viper N.A.'s in California @ Alamitos Bay Yacht Club..

I know were 2 years away, but it never hurts to start thinking eary..

I would like to go to the club with a estimated boat count.  I want to be conservative / realistic.... I am thinking we could possibly draw 18-25 boats, but that will take a serious push from all of you "Sparkplugs"

Think Labor Day time frame, the N.A.'s would follow the Club Labor Day Regatta

Labor Day Regatta Sept 3-4... This would be the Viper West Coast Champs
Viper North Americans Sept 7-10

Race Sat/Sun for WCC
Lay Day Mon
Tues Registration
Wed Practice
Thur-Sat N.A.
Pack up Sun...Go Home.... 6 days Racing / 2 Regattas / 1 Trip

THIS IS VERY PRELIMINARY !!!!   Just asking Questions

PROBABLY A LITTLE TOO CLOSE TO THE START OF THE SCHOOL YEAR FOR US WHO HAVE LITTLE ONES. SUMMER WOULD BE BETTER.
F'ing Walker!

Laurent Dion

Quote from: BoomSlang on August 05, 2009, 04:51:18 PM
That would be GREAT Timbo. There's perhaps not a better spot in the West for Vipers than ABYC and speaking from recent experience, there's not a better club to run this event. The ABYC portion of Long Beach Race Week was simply awesome. Best Party, Best Food, best Location, Best Band, easy launch and recovery, secure, central and moments from the starting area. They run one hell of a regatta. Frankly, I think it's a better spot than Charleston...IMHO.

I think we might try to woo the Texas boys out for this.

Any idea on storage solutions for those having to dash back for work or family commitments? My idea is this. Both Texas and AZ boats get freakin cooked in the summer. Let's have them leave their boats in Cal for the Spring and sail with us in 2011. The economy will have healed up and we'll all be much less worried about our jobs.

What do ya'll think?

If labor Day week doesnot work for all, what about the week after LBRW which is
more or less July 4th week ?
For AZ Boats, it is true that after April  we don't have any race here and we travel
west for LBRW, HSR and probably more to come. So yes we could leave the boats in SoCal.

Glenn Vanheel

i know south coast corinthian yc (http://www.sccyc.org/) has it's one design weekend during hsr weekend. usually martins, 5.70s, and j80s. but it's in marina del rey and you never know which wind god will show.
but i'de rather do hsr myself.
F'ing Walker!

Alec Rapaport

You might consider that at least for us in the New England area, our season is pretty short (May-Oct) in CT and more June - Sep for MA.  So, for the East coasters to move West during the summer months is competing directly with our main season. 

I have no idea of prevailing conditions during the seasons in CA, but if there are dates when it is cold and snowing in the East, you wouldn't be competing with the relatively short summer window we have.  October-January might be a good window if that works with weather/club schedules etc. for the West coast crowd and is generally before the larger Southern events in Feb-April.

Drew Harper

The weather window (yeah right) opens up in California mid-October. The Pacific High moves south and out to sea. The winds go pretty light, statewide. We're assured a MUCH better weather pattern June-Sept then afterwards.

I'd really HATE to see an event with a shutout wind scenario so I think it's better to schedule during more predictable weather.

Alec Rapaport

I'm with you on going for the better conditions. 

C'est la vie.

Glenn Vanheel

how about at hsr? the week between hsr weekends.
F'ing Walker!

Jay Harrell

Quote from: BoomSlang on August 06, 2009, 01:11:42 PM
We're assured a MUCH better weather pattern June-Sept then afterwards.

Viper sailing always goes better with wind.

Drew Harper

Personally, I like the idea of running it after LBRW. I sailed the U20 NorAms last year at Huntington. We race High Sierra as a warm up then had 3 days racing for the NorAms. 5 days of racing was AWESOME and a real test of the teams.

Lots of teams will already be there and it saves another travel time.

LBRW is 3 days so perhaps we have a 2 day NorAm's immediately after...the following Monday & Tues. Get off 4 races on Monday and 3 on Tues. We'll all be completely whipped. :-))

Quote from: GVH630 on August 06, 2009, 04:16:13 PM
how about at hsr? the week between hsr weekends.

I'm up for Huntington but I know the Parks Service is a pain to deal with. Fresno gets this done because they've held the HSR for over 50 years. It's probably much easier to host this at ABYC.

David Morse

I like the ABYC directly after LBRW.  The learing curve will be phenomenal!