Viper Outboard

Started by Scott Ellis, April 22, 2011, 10:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

My motor does not get to 90 degrees - photo attached. 

On the bracket end, we use the stock Rondar bracket, but after hearing about flexing issues from others, I ground off the gelcoat and reinforced it with several layers of carbon (photo attached).  We also added delrin spacers between the bracket and the cockpit floor to allow water to drain more easily.  Anyhow, no issues with the bracket otherwise. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Tom Miller

Peter, the idea of adding a couple spacers to lift the motor mount is something we should all do.
That thing just loves to hold water in the boat.

Check out the last two posts from a really old discussion about spin sock placement in 2014:

http://forum.viper640.org/repairs-maintenance-and-upgrades/spin-sock-placement/msg16060/#msg16060

https://www.viper640.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/fang-upwind.jpg

Carson Downing

Spacers are a fantastic idea, will have to try that and the reinforcement.

The Suzuki definitely kicks up higher. Here are a few photos of mine kicked up, and one on starboard tack.
Viper 129 - KAA
Des Moines, Iowa

brian partridge

ive recently switched from mercury 2.2 to yamaha 3 ( both 2 strokes) using the standard viper outboard bracket. the merc only swung up to about 75-80 deg. which left it dragging on starboard tack. the yamaha, although slightly heavier, swings up to almost 90, and the system actually lifts it up another few inches due to its arrangement of the pivot pin. at the club i race at, we only have 2 vipers so we get thrown in with the trailer sailer fleet ( racing cat 7) so we have to carry an outboard
VIPER AUS185
THE PUNISHER

Drew Harper

The Suzuki 2.5 swings up about 90 and is super cheap and very dependable!

Quote from: brian partridge on March 20, 2021, 05:54:04 PM
ive recently switched from mercury 2.2 to yamaha 3 ( both 2 strokes) using the standard viper outboard bracket. the merc only swung up to about 75-80 deg. which left it dragging on starboard tack. the yamaha, although slightly heavier, swings up to almost 90, and the system actually lifts it up another few inches due to its arrangement of the pivot pin. at the club i race at, we only have 2 vipers so we get thrown in with the trailer sailer fleet ( racing cat 7) so we have to carry an outboard
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Andrew Maki

Who will be the first one to try out this Greenworks electric battery powered motor from Amazon.  The posts have people using the motor on 500 lbs fishing boats for 45 min at full power.  Could be a cheap alternative to Torqueedo and weighs in at 21 lbs.  https://www.amazon.ca/Greenworks-32lbs-Trolling-Motor-Tool/dp/B08NN2GZNW/ref=asc_df_B08NN2GZNW/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=477893961571&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14804679935832487528&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001160&hvtargid=pla-1363209487189&psc=1

John Leyland

Might work if you have a very short distance and don't mind slow speeds and no adverse current.  As opposed to buying off Amazon I would see if there's a dealer nearby to see if you can try before you buy, otherwise bring paddles! 
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC