Viper 640 Line Drawings

Started by Jon Stubbs, September 22, 2012, 07:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Stubbs

With a good fleet in Western Australia and a container of Viper 640's arriving in Sydney, we thought it might soon be time to look at state and national titles in Australia.

After visiting an interesting shop in Boston that had heaps of ship models, we thought a half model of a Viper 640, mounted on a wood,  might be a good trophy.

My father is a talented ship model maker. All he requires are line drawings of the Viper.

I know a little bit of the history of the Viper 640 and previously, line drawings sounded like a tall order.
Recently the class did laser plotting of the Viper 640 to  develop 2-D and 3-D drawings and data files that precisely define the boat. Are there now a set of line drawings available?

Any suggestions welcome.

Justin Scott

Dave Nickerson has the hull and keel lines from the scans.
Dave at Nickersons dot org

The line drawings on the trophy that Rod brought home should give you the rig.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jon Stubbs

Thanks Justin. Only need the hull, keel  lines and shapes. Will follow up you suggestion.

Drew Harper

Quote from: Jon Stubbs on September 22, 2012, 09:45:35 PM
Thanks Justin. Only need the hull, keel  lines and shapes. Will follow up you suggestion.

Jon, I have a .eps set of drawings. Email me. [email protected]
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Drew Harper on September 24, 2012, 02:03:39 AM
Thanks Justin. Only need the hull, keel  lines and shapes. Will follow up you suggestion.

Does this have the modern keel bulb and stern scoop?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

Quote from: Justin Scott on September 24, 2012, 09:40:12 AM
Quote from: Drew Harper on September 24, 2012, 02:03:39 AM
Thanks Justin. Only need the hull, keel  lines and shapes. Will follow up you suggestion.

Does this have the modern keel bulb and stern scoop?

This is just something I did in Adobe Illustrator. It is not the quality of the laser scan. It has your crooked rudder on it Justin :-D

Matt Sole

Thats a lines plan not a drawing. Also that needs updating as the sail plan looks nothing like that.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Drew Harper

Quote from: Matt Sole on September 24, 2012, 03:49:46 PM
Thats a lines plan not a drawing. Also that needs updating as the sail plan looks nothing like that.

Thanks for volunteering Matt ;-)

Matt Sole

It should be easy to get line drawings from the scans of the boat. Kind of scary no originals exist.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Drew Harper

Justin, o governor of ours, can you get the TC to publish a line drawing for us?

Should we ask, Ben?, Dave N?, Timbo?

Jon Stubbs

Maybe line drawings is not the right term.
What my dad needs to make a half model for a trophy is not just an outline,  but plans to make the hull shape correct and to scale.
I assume it would be something like the attached plans for a lightning 18 I found on the net.

Dave Nickerson

Have asked Jim Taylor to get me a price on developing a drawing like what Jon attached from the zillions of data points we have from the hull/deck/foil scanning project.  See as a good possible use of class funds.  More later.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Matt Sole

Would have thought a set of plans would have been automatically produced from the data points.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Ben Steinberg

I think we ended up with a 3d model that sections can be pulled from but the cash dried up for getting lines and sections drawn in 2d. Could be wrong though.

Matt Sole

With a full 3D model you should be able to pull a set of lines from it for minimal money.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78