Viper #20 Growler ...Frankenstein

Started by RobThompson, March 12, 2023, 04:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobThompson

Growler is the only Viper in New Zealand, and it's had a hard life and hasnt been sailing much (if at all) in years...

I've been sorting various things on it for the last few months as time allows.
Rig, sails, and hull/deck is structurally sound. Aesthetically? Like me - not so sound!

Anyway finally put it in the water to check all the systems. yay!
And immediately heard the gurgling of it sinking fast. Boo.

Luckily I've launched a few boats, and their sneaky enthusiasm for sinking is fun too - back on the trailer it went.

Turns out it has a D20mm drain hole underneath! wtf... who does that? Maybe it's a dinghy thing. Strange people those dinghy people...

I found a delightful expanding rubber plug to fit the hole, and put it back in the drink with that. Super fancy yachting - My boat didnt even sink!

I had a beaten up old Yamaha 2hp outboard in the garage - stuck it on and ran it a while -all good. Outboard bracket didn't fall off. I thought it might fall off because the factory plug holes to fit a bracket were a bit underwhelming less than 3mm of thread grip. I ended up also screwing the bracket directly into the deck with M10s*. I'm winning at this boating game, so far anyway.

While alongside I put the main up... Its rather large. Same luff length as a class Viper, but fat head / square top stylez. Check out the photo (sail needs some lube and isnt fully hoisted, but you get the idea).
I'd heard the crew of this boat were good swimmers, this may just explain some of that.

Hopefully this coming weekend - go for a hoon

*fear not sweet summer child, I'm a boatbuilder with a plan :)
Frankenstein barn-find Viper640: Growler...  Mark1 I think :)