Trailering across the border (CORK 2013)

Started by Eric White, April 24, 2013, 02:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric White

I just registered USA 50 for CORK at the end of August. Looking at the event website it suggests bringing copies of sales invoices for the boat and sails to prove taxes have been paid. I have none of these...Can one of the guys who does this regularly give me a better idea for what documents are needed to cross the border with the boat?

-Eric

Steve Conger

Do you have the registration and title for the boat and trailer? Thats all you should need from my experiences; although I have crossed with no paperwork and no issues a few times. Not recommended though.
43 zigzag

Peter Beardsley

Eric raises a great point...CORK 2013 is coming.  This is on both the Great Lakes Viper Circuit AND the Northeast Viper Circuit.  August 23-25 -- it is also the Canadian Viper National Championship.  If you're Canadian, you should be there.  If you're not Canadian but the idea of winning another country's national championship appeals to you, you should be there.  If you've never sailed in fresh water before and haven't experienced the joy of being doused with waves that don't burn, you should be there.  If you haven't partied in a place that is both a college town AND a prison town, you should be there.

Kingston is my all-time favorite sailing venue.  I haven't been in 8 years and I am itching to go back.  NOR and online entry posted at http://www.cork.org/events/cork-offshore-and-one-design/
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Tim Carter

Ping Harper, he can elaborate on the joys of crossing the border without paperwork..   ;O
Lt Coast Gov

Brad Boston

All you need is the title or proof of ownership! Just don't lie to them are you will be OK...
We cross with jackpot all the time!
Brad

Justin Scott

I had no problem with the Viper travelling to CORK or Sarnia. I brought my insurance policy as proof of ownership but they never asked for it. There are usually a group of Vipers travelling and the border is pretty friendly.

On the way back, the border guard told us that the boat ahead of us with Texas plates had told him to search "Justin Scott's car" . He thought it was a mean trick and we agreed with him...waved us right through.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Eric White

Sounds good, I have full paperwork for the trailer, but only a bill of sale on the boat. Hopefully we don't have issues.

Dan Tucker

Also, don't bring liquor INTO Canada. That got me stopped and searched once!
Race it like you stole it.

Eric White

Quote from: Dan Tucker on April 25, 2013, 03:59:24 PM

What about the other way around?

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Eric White on April 25, 2013, 05:30:02 PM
Quote from: Dan Tucker on April 25, 2013, 03:59:24 PM

What about the other way around?
Just don't tell them you're with Justin Scott.

Or Jeff Jones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Race it like you stole it.

Brad Boston

It is ok to go buy liquor at duty free! Just follow the limits both ways...( 1 bottle per person).

Darren Gilbert

Quote from: Brad Boston on April 25, 2013, 08:53:27 PM
It is ok to go buy liquor at duty free! Just follow the limits both ways...( 1 bottle per person).
Or one case for the beer drinkers.
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Drew Harper

Quote from: Tim Carter on April 24, 2013, 05:42:15 PM
Ping Harper, he can elaborate on the joys of crossing the border without paperwork..   ;O

Ouchie Timbo.

Well, that's one race I am guranteed to NEVER win :-D
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"