Tack line length

Started by bastaque, July 03, 2020, 03:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bastaque

#29 has the new carbon pole (long story).

I am not sure if the tack line length is right. Actually, it's driving me a bit crazy.

The pole extend all the way so that's fine. But...I still have about two feet of line from the ball to the end of the line when extended.

my options:
a) 2 feet of line for a giant bowline knot and tail: take a knife to the surplus
b) lifting the tack so high to make the spin frustrating to fly in most condition
c) some other option I am missing completely

Thanks

Francois

Steven Haywood

You could shorten the tackline by tying the knot at the mast foot a bit further up the line as a trial... Have you measured the pole length when it's extended to make sure it's right?

bastaque

Hi Steven and thanks.

Yes, the pole comes out to a full 190cm as per class rules.

I also tried to reduce the length of the tack line with a knot at the mast end, but then the ball (on the tack line) prevents the pole to extend fully. The tack line was thickened at the ball to prevent it to go up to the tack.

So maybe the ball should be able to move freely along the line so that I can control the length of the line with a knot as you suggest. Or get rid of the ball as the knot to the tack would fulfil the same function.

Is that correct thinking?

Francois

Peter Beardsley

Sounds like the line may just be too long.  If you can go to the full 190 cm and you can tie a good bowline, then just cut off the excess from there.  Tack of the kite should always be flush to the end of the pole - there is never a reason in Vipers to ease the sprit line.  If you really wanted to float the kite out for short periods of time, you do it by easing the halyard a foot, not the tack line. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

bastaque

Done!

I love cutting rope....

Thanks Peter.