Seeking Viper experience 4up with kids.

Started by JonDouglas, January 15, 2024, 09:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonDouglas

We are looking for a sporty boat to race in Milwaukee on Lake Michigan.  Our club has a fleet of 4 VX Ones that race. Ideally we would add to the fleet and get a VX one.  However, I have 3 kids, ages 16,14,and 10 and we would like to race together.  I think the VX one is a bit to small for 4.  Given that Viper is a little bigger, do you feel we could be comfortable sailing with 4?  Is there a place for my 10 year old to sit out of the way when things get busy? 

Darren Gilbert

You mean, kind of like this? 

That's me, my brother, and 2 of his kids
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Peter Beardsley

I wrote a detailed article about this several years ago - check it out: https://forum.viper640.org/sailing-handling-tips-and-techniques/sailing-4-up/

In summary: amazing 3-up boat, still a pretty good boat 4-up (and you see 4-up teams at regattas frequently). 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

JonDouglas

Thanks for the resources.  So is there place for my 10 year old "Wedge in" while my 2 other kids and I sail the boat?  My son is just starting sailing in an Opti last Summer and is not quite ready to be an active member of the crew.  My two daughters are active 420 sailors and want something "less boring", so I think the 3 of can run the boat.  As far as weight is concerned, the 4 of us will still only be at 500lbs crew weight.  Would this be an issue?

Peter Beardsley

500 lbs is fine.  In breeze you may wish you were heavier, but at the most recent Sarasota event, Day 1 was in 15-20 kts of breeze and stiff chop, and after Day 1, the first and second place teams were 510 and 520 pounds.  Plenty of room for a 10-year old who is still learning the ropes - when I've sailed with a 10-year old previously, we made that person in charge of the sprit downwind and knowing where the marks were upwind and downwind (i.e., navigator) while teaching the basics of traffic management.  Worked fine.
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Matt Rowlinson

Quote from: JonDouglas on January 17, 2024, 09:53:00 AMThanks for the resources.  So is there place for my 10 year old "Wedge in" while my 2 other kids and I sail the boat?  My son is just starting sailing in an Opti last Summer and is not quite ready to be an active member of the crew.  My two daughters are active 420 sailors and want something "less boring", so I think the 3 of can run the boat.  As far as weight is concerned, the 4 of us will still only be at 500lbs crew weight.  Would this be an issue?
Your son will have a blast. Put him right in front of you; first day out the lesson is *always* have your feet in the hiking straps--there's not a lot to hold on to. next thing you know as Peter says he will be running the sprit line and telling you which way to go.

Jason Hyerstay

You may also want to install a hiking line for anyone not holding a sheet. I use a loop tied to the lifting points.
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

JonDouglas

Ok, I'm sold.  Anyone know of boats for sale near Wisconsin?  We will also be driving to Punta Gorda, FL for Spring break.  I see there is a lot of activity in Sarasota.  Any boats there?

Peter Beardsley

Not sure if # 127 (based out of the Detroit area) is still for sale - they were talking about getting a newer Viper but only if they sold 127 first.  127 didn't have a ton of miles on it and they just did some keel work on the boat and were going really well at the January Sarasota event - that would probably be the right boat at the right price point unless you wanted a newer boat on Day 1 - just depends on how much you want to spend.  Feel free to drop me a line at wpbeardsley at [gmail] [dot] [com]
Viper 333 "Glory Days"