New Sails

Started by Lee Eikel, November 28, 2011, 06:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Eikel

So I will be investing in a set of new viper sails.  I have been a loyal Ullman guy, but as I understand they build their mains out of dacron.  I see most boats in recent videos all have plastic sails.  So my question is what are the pros an cons of each and which is faster.  Sorry if this has been asked before.  Thanks!

Drake Borer

"which ones are faster.?)  Hmm, now that's a loaded question! Any comments Brad?! :)

Jim Sears

I went with Ullman because the fastest boats out west are using them... Those boats gave me great tuning tips, and I have had great personalized service from Ullman, including on the water tuning sessions... As I understand it, Dave Ullman has always felt that a dacron main is more "tunable" and is the faster set up for sport boats (Melges, etc), since it is easier to change the sail's shape with mast bend, cunningham, outhaul tension, etc.  Ullman sails have grabbed the top 2-3 spots in every regatta out here this year.
note: I DON'T work for Ullman :-)
-Jimbo
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Olaf Bleck

What do they say?  "The fastest sails come in blue bags?"

LOL
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Justin Scott

Not a sailcloth technical expert. Brad can weigh in.

Pros of Dacron Main:-
Greater elasticity than Mylar allows the sail a greater range of shape which will respond well to the very supple mast of the Viper.
Not affected by sunlight in the same way as Mylar. Less prone to damage when flogging.

Con of Dacron:-
Stretches out of a competitive shape earlier than a Mylar sail. Doesn't last as long.

Pro of Mylar with poly thread:-
Very stretch resistant.

Con of Mylar:-
Needs TLC. Shrinks in prolonged exposure to sunlight. Be careful not to crease and crinkle.

No idea if these are true or urban legend
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Ben Steinberg

The sailcloth used in my Dacron main is stronger than the cloth in my Pentex jib. just sayin.

Craig Wilusz

"The sailcloth used in my Dacron main is stronger than the cloth in my Pentex jib. just sayin."

I agree with the above statement. Pentex has been used of an on with limited sucess in multihull sails.  Pentex is cool at first when breand new but doesn't hold up.  Never tried Pentex on a Viper though.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Brad Boston

Hey Guy?s,

I have never liked Pentex to be used in any sails that need to last more than 4 regattas. The stuff is over prices and shrinks like mad. We have been using the Flex Poly that seems to hold up really well and behaves well on the mast. The sail does not shrink as much and moves just enough that the you can do anything you want with the shape and it will come back to original.(like using a Dacron sail).  Now you must design the Main to be able t have full and flat modes but the material is great.
I regularly use our 2009 main and it has taken a beating but keeps on going.  (I also have new sails but do not use them in small regattas).

The really nice thing about the laminate sails is the shape last longer and gives us more longevity.

This is only my opinion....

Brad
Jackpot 119

Justin Scott

Quote from: Brad Boston link=topic=1161.msg11042#msg11042 date=132266226

This is only my opinion....

Brad
Jackpot 119
/quote]

Yeah, and what do you know about sail making or how to make boats go fast?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee