Holmenkol

Started by Peter Bauer, March 23, 2013, 12:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Bauer

I was thinking of applying to my spinn sock.  Anyone know if it's still hold anywhere?  I hear its pretty nasty, so it must work well.

Somers Kempe

Drew Harper has some I think.  Shoot him a line.
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Garrett Johns

If you take the spin sock out to slick it up, watch out cuz that baby goes back into the cockpit.
USA 129
Anacortes WA

Jason Hyerstay

My neighbor has a business selling high-end ski racing gear and doing boot fittings and other stuff:

http://www.racestocksports.com

I noticed on his box trailer a sticker for Holmenkol, and I asked him about it yesterday, and if he could still get it. I remember Drew saying it was hard to get. My neighbor said the company went thru some hard times but he could get anything I wanted from them.

Since he mostly deals with their wax, can you guys tell me which product is used for sails?

Thanks,

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Peter Beardsley

Seal n' Glide.  If you have a good source, would love to hear about it.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Drew Harper

Seal and Glide has been removed from Holmenkol's line. They still make lots of wax, etc, but not seal and glide. They won't consider making a batch for less than 1000 gallons. They no longer want to distribute it so someone would have to take it on. 1000 gals cost is unknown but it sounded like $100K

We bought a lot of it. Have quite a few of the smaller kits and even a few large kits. Stuff isn't cheap.

We've searched high and low for an alternative. Can't fine one
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Peter Bauer

I found some at Hartley Boats Chandlery in the UK.  They're on the web.  Be prepared for a huge DHL charge.

Ben Steinberg

The kite surfers use something similar. I forget the name but maybe worth researching. Is still cheaper than upgrading to impregnated sailcloth.

Mark Hinrichs

Yes, I bought through Hartley since seeing the info, thanks....It was expensive, but I received the stuff this week. 

Drew Harper

I still have Holmenkol in stock. $44.95 plus $7 shipping for a 25ml kite (just enough for a Viper Kite) and we still have a few 100ML kits at $150 plus $8 shipping.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"