Whaddya Call a Viper with no bulb on the keel? wild Animal

Started by Phillip Davis, November 05, 2011, 07:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Terry Phillips on November 11, 2011, 07:05:18 PM
Justin,
Would a centerboard be substantially different than a stock Rondar/Viper keel
without a bulb (keel alone about 50 lbs,yes) ???

FWIW, The centerboard I sent out to Jeff only weighed about 25 lbs.

Drew Harper

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Tim Carter

I got a loose quote on a Viper daggerboard out here for $1500...  now that was for a single 6' elliptical blade.  Now if we are talking about economics of scale and a multi-batch run, I would guess the cost would come down a bit.

We will need to see how hard it is to get the boat self righted from the full inversion status...   :P
Lt Coast Gov

Justin Scott

Quote from: Terry Phillips on November 11, 2011, 07:05:18 PM
Justin,
Would a centerboard be substantially different than a stock Rondar/Viper keel
without a bulb (keel alone about 50 lbs,yes) ???

I dunno. It would be up for discussion if there is a group. If its just me, my only criteria is that its faster than wot Jeff has.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

Quote from: Tim Carter on November 13, 2011, 11:59:08 AM
I got a loose quote on a Viper daggerboard out here for $1500...  now that was for a single 6' elliptical blade.  Now if we are talking about economics of scale and a multi-batch run, I would guess the cost would come down a bit.

We will need to see how hard it is to get the boat self righted from the full inversion status...   :P

I think that Jeff researched that point by dropping his bulb.

But, this is just for shits and giggles, so I might go for the mast head floatation that we discussed earlier.   
Viper - Mambo Kings

Jeff Jones

If you go turtle, you'll need a rescue boat to pull it back over without help from the bulb.  Trust me, i know.

If you managed to keep it from going upside down, you'd probably need two good size people out on the board to get it back up and even then, it would be very difficult.  Remember, once it's on it's side the boat sometimes likes to lay flat with a bulb out on the tip.

I felt pretty confident that we wouldn't get ourselves in too much trouble.   Really deep lake, lot's of safety boat's around because it was a C.B. event.     Unless i could put enough floatation at the tip to keep it from going upside down i wouldn't do it in the bay.    Forcast was for 13, had i known it was going to go over twenty i would have had the keel in.

Recomend rondar get's more replacement masts in the country before the fleet gets too far ahead on the turbo option.

Justin Scott

I would be putting floatation at the mast head, partially to stop it turtling, but especially to slow it from turtling, to give me sufficient reaction time to get out on the board.

Again........this would not be for mainstream Viper sailing. This would just be for giggles. Bit like the time we put an oversized carbon rig in a laser at LCSC. It was a hoot but it was a bit impractible.   
Viper - Mambo Kings