Key West Race Week 2016

Started by Sail22, April 24, 2015, 09:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sail22

It's official now that Key West Race Week 2016 will happen. And if you look at the registration they are inviting Vipers and other small boats. I am sure they will set up the race course inside which is more suitable for the Vipers.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=1390

one Viper(USA 201 Entourage) is registered and wanting to get more. Sail22 will be there and our boat will be available for charter if anyone is looking. Too busy of an event for me to race myself.

Let us know who is interested. If you are even thinking about it please register as it doesn't cost anything and it will encourage others.

If anyone wants to know more or needs help with housing, estimated costs, etc. just shoot me a note to [email protected] or post here.

Later,

Ed
Sail22

USA 231

Peter Beardsley

Is there any word on whether the Vipers will race all 5 days, or some shorter amount of time?  I had heard rumors about 3 days.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Craig Wilusz

Damit.....
D's gonna wanna go again
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

John Leyland

Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Craig Wilusz

Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Sail22

I will find out about the length of time for the Vipers. Original talk for the small boat course was Wednesday to Friday. I think that makes sense as we can run 5-6 races a day with where we would race and still have more races than the big boats in 2 less days. Plus only one weekend or part of one weekend away from family.

I will post here when I learn more. We will register our boat but it's hard for us to race and support in big events like this.

Later,

Ed

Craig Wilusz

Three boats registered.  Pretty cool.  For all you Yankee's who have this regatta on your bucket list.  Here is your chance.  Vipers will be racing three of the five days, right smack in front of city front.  So we really don't even sail out of the channel.  I am guessing we will be launching at the ramp just on the other side of the cruise ships where the multis and M24's launch.  That area is a one minute walk away from some vacation rental homes. So we could probably pile some teams all chipping in for a house or two.  Pile up in the beds! Sleep head to toe, head to toe, Justin gets the middle!
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Nick Amendola

Does anyone know what the exact racing days are? Which 3 of 5?

John Leyland

NOR states Wednesday - Friday for classes racing 3 days.
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Nick Amendola

Olaf Bleck

7 FEES
The entry application shall be accompanied by an entry fee. The entry fees are based on Length Overall (LOA) which may be rounded downward to nearest lower whole number. (e.g: 39.71
' = 39'): Entry Fees are:
18–26 feet  LOA:  $24.00  per  foot  LOA  for  entries  paid  before  September  1,  2015.
For  entries  paid  after September 1,  2015,  the entry fee  will  be  $28.00  per  foot  LOA.
For  entries  paid  after  December  1,  2015,  the Entry Fee will be $32.00 per foot LOA.

21 x $24 = $504... due by Sept. 1. 

Key West, however, is nice that time of year.

I'm pretty sure that includes 5-6 nights of cocktails.

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Peter Beardsley

The way I read the amendment to the NOR, for classes racing 3 days, if you're under 26 feet LOA, it's $20/foot if paid before OCTOBER 1 x 21 = $420.  So that helps a bit.  Still more expensive than 4 days of racing at North Americans, but it's also Key West. 

That said, Sarasota is also really nice that time of year and I know the NOR for Sarasota Winter Circuit is coming out soon -- KWRW does NOT conflict with Sarasota so hopefully teams who are thinking about this can do both.  It would be neat to see a Viper fleet at KWRW in 2016 for those who can afford to take the time. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on August 26, 2015, 07:20:08 PM

The way I read the amendment to the NOR, for classes racing 3 days, if you're under 26 feet LOA, it's $20/foot if paid before OCTOBER 1 x 21 = $420...

Ah, didn't see that.  Not quite as bad...  I wonder if that gets you any tent passes at all for that matter.  They don't mention anything on their website.  I sent them an email.

Unfortunately KWRW was (still is?) a for-profit regatta.  Hence the spendiness.  It's relatively new that they are doing the small boats (or at least they didn't have that the times I went some years ago).

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Sail22

KWRW hasn't had tent passes in the last few years. The tent is free. You buy tickets for drinks which are very reasonable. Basically cheap for Key West. There aren't huge crowds so it is enjoyable to go and no lines for drinks since they aren't free. $420 is a lot less than last year. Almost half of the cheapest classes. It is a very expensive place to run a regatta but the sailing and fun in Key West is exceptional.

Hope to see as many Vipers sailors there. We will be there but not sure if I will be racing at all. Sail22 always supports sailors in Key West. Let us know if we can help.

Later,

Ed