Welcome to Mumblehead - The 2012 NAs Thread - Logistics, Rendezvous, Questions

Started by Justin Scott, August 30, 2012, 09:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Hi Guys,

First boats will be arriving in town on Saturday.

This thread is so anyone can post updates and ask questions and make plans to get together.

Lets here who is en route, post your travel updates here.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

Kids?

If any Viper teams have kids with them, I am going to put up the volleyball net and badminton net on the lawn in front of my house. Its a beautiful spot, right on the ocean and they are very welcome.

If anyone wants to talk about pooling to hire someone responsible to look over them while we are all sailing, give me a call. or email [email protected] 781-888-6336.

Cheers ViperMamboKings (VMK)
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

The best restaurant in town is the Five Corners Kitchen.
Really fresh food served in unpretentious but creative manner. The restaurant and its chef/owner Barry Edelman (ex Aquitane in Boston) have had rave reviews from some serious critics from Boston and NYC.

I have reservations this weekend for Friday and Sunday if anyone wants to try it.

Other good spots
In Marblehead
Cafe Italia
Pelligrinos

Some good spots in salem as well. We'll post them later.

Viper - Mambo Kings

Craig Wilusz

Know of any close rv parks/campgrounds with power or or anywhere to plug in at night? Also, are extra tickets available for the dinners (at a fee of course)?
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Justin Scott

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on August 31, 2012, 08:27:56 AM
Know of any close rv parks/campgrounds with power or or anywhere to plug in at night? Also, are extra tickets available for the dinners (at a fee of course)?

I could google.......but what would be involved if you parked in my drive or on my tennis court? I could easily run a power line to you. If you need water and sewer that would be harder. I'm happy to welcome a Vipermobile.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on August 31, 2012, 08:27:56 AM

Also this:

Winter Island

Winter Island is less than a mile from the New England Pirate Museum. This campground offers tent sites, RV sites and popup sites. Sites feature water and 30- and 50-amp electricity. Some sites have waterfront or field views. Winter Island features an onsite store, playground and bathhouse. Guests have access to the South, Waikiki and Pebble Beaches. The park has picnic tables and grills. Dining options nearby include Finz Seafood Restaurant, Rockafella and Grapevine Restaurant. Area attractions include Fort Pickering Lighthouse.

Winter Island
50 Winter Island Road
Salem, MA 01970
978-745-9430
salemweb.com/winterisland

Note: Winters Island is on other side of Salem harbor from Marblehead, about 3/4 mile by water (Marblehead used to be part of Salem. They kept the witches and the tourists. We kept the best bit) Its 5 miles to EYC by car....15 minutes +/-.

Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Dont miss Dollibers cove in the evening at this tide.

Today was gorgeous in Marblehead. We arrived at 1.00pm and I made my Peaches Point Lobster Rolls (Fresh lobster meat from ML and secret dressing). Then down to the beach on Browns Island.

Aussies have arrived. Anyone know how to contact them so that we can show them some hospitality?

Viper - Mambo Kings

Olaf Bleck

Ran into Harvey Barns briefly at Parkers too.

Mumblehead?

What's the meetup tonight (Saturday, 9/1)?  Some text around.

Cheers,
-Olaf
617-513-9841
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Matt Rowlinson

Nice sailing & hanging out with locals & early birds this weekend. Always great to be in Marblehead. Here's a question--what's the relation between posted times for high/low tide in the harbor & slack water out on the course?  I couldn't work it out this weekend.

Matt CAN 70

Luke Porter

For those that might be interested, I'm bringing three spare instrument brackets with me to the NAs (http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?topic=1310.0). First come first served and once these three are gone I'm going to have to raise the price a little from $50 to $85 to try to break even a little better. I'm basing out of BYC but I should be easy enough to find on the water or at the socials.

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

David Chapman

Hi Luke,

we (GBR 123) like to buy one off you please.
i'll try and PM you

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Matt Rowlinson on September 03, 2012, 08:03:30 AM

Nice sailing & hanging out with locals & early birds this weekend. Always great to be in Marblehead. Here's a question--what's the relation between posted times for high/low tide in the harbor & slack water out on the course?  I couldn't work it out this weekend.

Matt CAN 70

Sailflow's model is pretty accurate as best I can tell.  I'm no expert on Marblehead per se, but I don' t think there is a whole lot of advantage one can generally gain on the course that's current related. i.e. I think the current is pretty uniform at Tinkers.  It'd be slim at best.  Justin?  You'd probably know more than anyone.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)