Lake Champlain Sportboat Regatta

Started by Jason Hyerstay, October 15, 2013, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Gilbert

Don't forget that Cork is sometime in August.  We had a good turnout last year and would like to keep the momentum going!
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Jason Hyerstay

We have picked the date as September 27-28. I still need to put together a full plan to get board approval.

The club has hosted several one-design regattas over the years, but I only had involvement in one, an Etchells Northeastern Champs in 2007 or something, where everyone was based out of the Community Sailing Center in Burlington (with a hoist), rather than at our club. I know we also hosted a big Finn event a few years back, and we host junior stuff every couple of years.

My current question is for those of you who have hosted Viper regattas, and only have one ramp and no hoist, how do you decide about leaving boats in the water vs hauling each day? Is there a certain number of boats where you say that everyone needs to stay in? We are very quick at launching, and could even have one person do all the trailer driving who is fast and accurate.

Also, if anyone has any regatta planning documents that were specifically used for a Viper event, would you mind sharing?

Thanks!

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Cole Constantineau

Sounds awesome Jason--This date should be pretty good for the Marblehead Fleet, as our local racing ends the week before this.  I know this season we were looking to find some racing to tide us over until HPDO, a Vermont Viper regatta could fill this hole quite well.

The only two regattas I did this year without a hoist were Charleston and Wickford--both events we stayed in the water overnight.  Wickford we only had like 6 boats, and still didn't bother with pulling the boats out..  I would probably vote to do the same in Vermont--it's less of a hassle for me personally.

Jason Hyerstay

Our Regatta Committee chair polled the members of the Regatta Committee about their support and/or concerns about hosting a Viper 640 regatta last week. I was very happy to see overwhelming support for the event. They thought it would be good exposure for our club, and they support sportboat racing as a great way to help bring in younger members and get them excited about racing. The Board of Governors met on Wednesday, and approved the event for our 2014 calendar!

I'll be working thru the off-season to get things organized and recruit volunteers. I'll be back to this thread with updates and questions for the fleet.

Lake Champlain Yacht Club looks forward to hosting traveling Viper 640 racers next September! We'll try to make it as low-cost as possible and get as much racing in as possible over that weekend. We've got our best RC on-board to run the races (the old and new lead PROs together), and we will be the only fleet racing that weekend.

Thanks!

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info