CORK, August 27-29, 2010

Started by Jonathan Nye, July 13, 2010, 04:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Rowlinson

Quote from: Somers Kempe on August 23, 2010, 09:31:05 AM
Does anyone know if there is a marine store in Kingston?  I know Fogh is in TO - do they have a trailer or something in Kingston for the event?  Is Sail 22 stuck at the 8m Worlds all week?

Pretty sure there is a West outlet, but that may be it.

Somers Kempe

Thanks for the info.

Paging Jackpot.... or is there anyone going sailing late Thursday afternoon and want to tune up?  I will have new crew in the boat this regatta and would like to go out with someone to help acclimatize/break them in.  Hope to be on the water late Thursday afternoon.

Dark and Stormies on us when we get back to the dock for those interested.

Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Tom Miller

There is a West Marine in town, but the selection of gear there has never been fantastic.  Rope selections even worse.  Pride Marine is a better bet.

Kelly Bechard

Fogh Marine also generally has an onsite trailer. I haven't been in a few years so I'm not sure what they stock but probably the basics - line, blocks, gear.

I am going to try to sail Thursday afternoon depending on what time we get to Kingston and how quick we can get the boat together. Late Thursday afternoon for some practice and tuning sounds like a good plan.

Tom Miller

Somers, the group of us chartering 117 are planning on heading out on Thursday afternoon for some training as well. We would be up for doing a bit of 2 boat testing whenever your crew is around.

Eric Vigrass

Jackpot is ready, were going to rig and tune on thursday. Mmmmmmm dark and stormies

Pai

Quote from: Eric Vigrass on August 24, 2010, 10:27:35 AM
Jackpot is ready, were going to rig and tune on thursday. Mmmmmmm dark and stormies

Ditto for Black Mamba, see everyone there!

Lee Shuckerow

Also if anyone knows a viper sailor or someone that wants to sail a viper let me know I've been looking for crew for several boats. My email is [email protected] 
Jackpot  #235

Dan Tucker

WOW.

That was a terrific regatta. The usual competitive racing, no-nonsense RC work, Somer's Dark & Stormy party (thanks for the spare Barrits!), great college town, cheap lodging, great facility and breeze.

Did I mention the breeze? I think there was only 1 non-planing run all weekend, 5 races Friday and 5 races Saturday, 3 on Sunday. And breeze, plenty of breeze, from 15 to 22+. Saw a brief 15 knots on the Speedpuck.

Kingston definitely has challenged my love of Biscayne Bay as my favorite place to sail. It's also a remarkably central location for the NY/CT/MA/CAN & mid-west boats. This should and will be a 30+ Viper regatta in 2011.

The Rattler showed some flashes of upwind speed, but we couldn't sail our way out of a paper bag downwind. That included me falling off the boat during a gybe on Friday, dragging the tiller extension with me, resulting in what I'm sure was a spectacular wipeout. Too bad I couldn't see it, I was underwater at the time, being dragged along by the spin sheet I had managed to lunge for as I went over. I know it was a good one though, because the Windex was gone when we returned to upright! And there's a trout in Lake Ontario sporting my Kaenon's now...

Double check all your equipment before you drive to Kingston next year. Six of the 11 boats experienced some degree of equipment failure: Halyards, silly forestay failures, vang, 1 blown kite... Day after day of solid breeze will find the weaknesses in your gear.

Sign me up for CORK 2011 for sure!!
Race it like you stole it.

Lee Shuckerow

Congrats to Barry Parkin on the second stop of the Pan American championships sponsored by EFG bank.  There boat was blistering fast and they sailed smart with no equipment failure on the water to win with a dominating nine points over second. Eric, Scotty and myself finished second, Justin Scot finished close behind in third, David gugenheim, Brian and Pai finished fourth in the regatta.
It was a great regatta with great breeze and an awesome race course not too far from the dock. The usual viper camaraderie was going strong after the races each day with dark n stormies directly from Bermuda, thanks to Somers.
Jackpot  #235

Justin Scott

Quote from: Lee Shuckerow on September 01, 2010, 06:18:36 PM
Congrats to Barry Parkin on the second stop of the Pan American championships sponsored by EFG bank.  There boat was blistering fast and they sailed smart with no equipment failure on the water to win with a dominating nine points over second. Eric, Scotty and myself finished second, Justin Scot finished close behind in third, David gugenheim, Brian and Pai finished fourth in the regatta.
It was a great regatta with great breeze and an awesome race course not too far from the dock. The usual viper camaraderie was going strong after the races each day with dark n stormies directly from Bermuda, thanks to Somers.

Bermuda team with dark & Stormies + the partying Detroit home boyz with the biggest RV/Vipermobile I have ever seen at a regatta = Shore side fun.

Great sailing. Close competition. Honking breeze. Cool town with fun bars and eateries and a Blues festival. Great accomodation deal. Good friends. Great regatta.

+1 for 2011
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Harvey Barnes

Geoff Webster has posted his pictures of CORK - both Alpha course (Olson 30's & other big(er) boats) and Charlie course (Vipers, 505's, Contenders).

You can find them here: http://photoone.smugmug.com/Other/CORK-OFFSHORE-2010/13536509_LBWjk#986407169_gX3iL

Harv