Charter boat available for the 2009 NA's

Started by Harvey Barnes, August 17, 2009, 04:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Barnes

We have a new race ready charter boat available for the 2009 NA's.
It'll be there when you arrive.

Contact me at barnes_harvey (at) hotmail (dot) com if you are interested.

Glenn Vanheel

Quote from: HydroSpear on August 17, 2009, 04:20:06 PM
We have a new race ready charter boat available for the 2009 NA's.
It'll be there when you arrive.

Contact me at barnes_harvey (at) hotmail (dot) com if you are interested.

how much?
F'ing Walker!

Drew Harper

How much for this Harvey?

Team Spinnaker would like to compete but we're racing that big 44' sportboat the week before at Big Boat Series and the Sailing Anarchy Regatta in San Diego the week after. I might be biting off more than I can chew
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Harvey Barnes

The standard rate is $500/day + $50/day for insurance.

The boat(s) and sails are new and will be in Stanford.  You can save a few buck if you bring your own sails.

If you're interested, email me.  We can work something out.

(Boom, I sent you a PM via SA.)

H

Glenn Selvin

The standard rate is $500 per day?  You are on some serious drugs!  Which is ok, and yes, I'd like some.  But $500 per day?  You're dreaming!

Glenn Vanheel

wow! that's steep. but convienience comes at a price. so much for the west coast being able to 'step up'.  maybe $$drew$$ can be one of the west coast reps along with tony chapman. open your wallet drew!
good luck to all.
F'ing Walker!

Ben Steinberg

I work for sturgis, we charter 420's for $900 per 3 day regatta, this doesnt include sails or insurance.  A viper is way more boat than a 420, what do you guys expect to pay?

Glenn Vanheel

THAT DEPENDS ON IF YOUR FLEET BUILDING OR WANT TO MAKE SOME MONEY. I THINK ONE OF THE BOATS OUT WEST WENT FOR THAT FOR THE WHOLE REGATTA (3 DAYS)! LONG BEACH RACE WEEK. I GUESS WE'LL NEED TO SET OUR SIGHTS A LITTLE HIGHER IN THE FUTURE.
F'ing Walker!

Glenn Selvin

Quote from: Ben on August 19, 2009, 08:32:17 PM
I work for sturgis, we charter 420's for $900 per 3 day regatta, this doesnt include sails or insurance.  A viper is way more boat than a 420, what do you guys expect to pay?

I've chartered brand new Finns for $200 per day, and in some regards, I'll say a Finn is just as much a boat as a Viper.  I'm also chartering a Capri 25 for a large regatta in Minnesota...  same $200 per day.  Either I've been lucky, or someone's trying to make their house payment.  But hey, never let profit get in the way of customer service, or, in this case, never let good ol' American greed get in the way of fleet building.

David Morse

My rate for #33 for west coast events is $250 a day and I have paid the insurance for the year.
Call me whatever you like, but it's a shame when the boat sits on the sidelines.

Jeff Jones

Viperdad - @ 250.00 / day are you handing the client a brand new set of sails?  What state is that boat in?  Is it fully upgraded?  If so then that's a hell of a deal!

Finnster - in no capacity is a Finn anywhere close to a brand new viper.   And you should be flogged for even mentioning a "Capri 25" in the same sentence as a Viper 640! 

The sails will devalue 500.00 after this regatta..  I dont think this boat's based in LIS so it's going to be a pain to get it there.    I would say w/o question that there's no money to be made at 500.00/ day for a 3-day charter.   

Try chartering a Melges 24 or similar "sport-boat" for a major regatta.   Rates /day for KWRW would give you a stroke.

Harvey Barnes

Quote from: Finnster on August 20, 2009, 01:34:55 AM
Quote from: Ben on August 19, 2009, 08:32:17 PM

I've chartered brand new Finns for $200 per day, and in some regards, I'll say a Finn is just as much a boat as a Viper.  I'm also chartering a Capri 25 for a large regatta in Minnesota...  same $200 per day.  Either I've been lucky, or someone's trying to make their house payment.  But hey, never let profit get in the way of customer service, or, in this case, never let good ol' American greed get in the way of fleet building.

Hey, those that know me know I've done lots to help this class and build fleets.  I loaned out my boat both in St. Pete's and in Miami.  I've loaned my sails.  Like many others, I've demo'd my boat countless times.  I also flew on my own dime to Miami to shoot video (while someone else borrowed my boat) and I've spent many hours editing video.  So don't come down on me about greed and getting in the way of fleet building!

We'll see what the market will bear over time but I can assure you we aren't doing this for greed or to make our mortgage payments.  There are lots of costs involved.  We offer a service that we hope will help sailing and the class.  This may not be for everyone, but for some, it may be less cost and/or hassle then shipping their own boat to the NA's.

The bottom line is, there is a brand new boat available, delivered to Stamford for the NA's -- race ready including new sails.  Anyone seriously interested can contact us.  We'll work with you to make it happen.

Happy sailing!
H

Drew Harper

Hydro is dead on for the rate. In fact the M20's and SB3's were $500 day for CRW.  The M20's are chartering for $2000 for the M20 NA's. M24's typically charter at $750-$1000 day at major events.

There's no one I know that's done more for the classes he's been involved in than Hydro.

If I can manage the time, I'll pay the rate. The boat is BRAND new, has a BRAND new set of Hydes. All the benefits of a new boat without any of the detriments...on top of that I can assure you the boat will be in uber tune...

As I said, I have the Big Boat Series on the BAS (Big Ass Sportboat - See Attached) the week before and the SA Sportie Regatta the week after...but who knows.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jay Harrell

Geez, do the math before you conclude this is so expensive; it's a $30k boat with new sails.  The first $500 covers only the depreciation in the new sails.  Transportation could easily eat up the rest -I've seen just under $1/mile quoted for transportation.   Then I'm sure someone could do a present-value calculation over say 6 regattas per year for 10 years?  And how about storage and maintenance costs?  

Before long it starts to look like a good deal, particularly if you are coming from very far away.

Glenn Selvin

"Finnster - in no capacity is a Finn anywhere close to a brand new viper.   And you should be flogged for even mentioning a "Capri 25" in the same sentence as a Viper 640!"

I guess I'll stick with dinghy sailing...  its much more affordable.  Oh, yeah, and the 4 knot shitbox listed above.