Charlotte Harbor Regatta Feb 5 -7 2010

Started by Justin Scott, April 30, 2009, 12:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Tucker

Rattler is in. Along with Jeff Jones, I will be sailing with my wife and my 9 year old daughter. I've challenged Justin, Felipe, and Stu Hebb to turn up and sail with their >15 year old kids too. Anyone else?

We'll come up with some sort of prizes for the kids. We're committed to keeping it fun and low key for the young ones. Too much wind? We won't go out. Too many long races? We'll pack it in early. Lousy weather? We'll find something else to do.

I'm also going to look for a house/condo to rent for the family crowd. That might make it a bit more comfy for them, and let them get together off the water.

Who else is in? I'd love to see 5+ Vipers out there with kids >15! A family vacation to to FL in February can't be a tough sell...
Race it like you stole it.

Jeff Jones

I think drew needs to find a boat to use and bring his 12 year old.

Brian Gleason

We will have free storage available at Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club for a limited number of Vipers and others who are campaigning in the area in the weeks following the Charlotte Harbor Regatta. With five Vipers already signed up, this is shaping up like a great midwinter rendezvous for the class.

Jay Harrell

Quote from: bglesun on December 01, 2009, 09:46:04 PM
We will have free storage available at Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club for a limited number of Vipers and others who are campaigning in the area in the weeks following the Charlotte Harbor Regatta. With five Vipers already signed up, this is shaping up like a great midwinter rendezvous for the class.

Sounds good... save a spot for me...

Brian Gleason

We have arranged free storage on site at the Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club.

Jonathan Nye

Just dropped my boat off at Charlotte Harbor YC. If the regatta features weather anything like this weekend, it will be a special event. The bay is gorgeous and wide open. Winds in the high teens. All the locals who approached me were super friendly. Seems the Club is keen to make this a success.

For anyone on the fence about going, I'd strongly encourage you to make the trip.

Jonathan

Dan Tucker

I can't wait! And my 9 y.o. is even more excited than I am  :)

Jeff Jones

We're pretty fired up about it too.  Who's staying where?  Dan, you get a taker on that condo?

Jay Harrell

Quote from: ultraracer613um on January 19, 2010, 12:58:28 AM
We're pretty fired up about it too.  Who's staying where?  Dan, you get a taker on that condo?

The regatta site has good "regatta rates" at a bunch of hotels  http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com/wordpress/?page_id=101

Brian Gleason

At the suggestion of Viper 640 class entrants and, knowing how many of you are making the Charlotte Harbor Regatta a family affair, the board of directors has established a nightly "kids meal" rate of $7.50 (or four nights for $30) for youngsters 12 and under. We'd love to go higher on the age group, but we have teenagers, too, and know how they can eat, so we have to charge them the full $40 four-day social ticket rate or $15 a night.

Jeff Jones

bglesun that's a great deal!!   Thanks for doing this. 

Dan Tucker

Today was some regatta prep. Last night and this morning I took care of some niggely little car repairs to make the drive more pleasant for me (radio antenna, convertible top switch, brake light & turn signal bulbs).

This afternoon we spread the old kite we'll be using out on the floor of the living room, and Dana and I went over it inch by inch, patching up all the little mini tears and holes so they don't have the opportunity to turn into big ones. There's nothing like crawling around on the floor under a spinnaker, with your kid who's more excited about it than you are. It was actually fun! Other than trying to explain why we won't be using the good, new sails, "But Daddy, I want to WIN!"  :-O

I leave Wed for Chicago, then only have about a day and a 1/2 at home before heading off for FL for this one. The Mrs has been gone since Wednesday and starts racing in Miami OCR tomorrow, so I'm getting itchy!

Jeff Jones

Is anyone else leaving their vehicle in Florida?  If so, what are your plans?

Jonathan Nye

Quote from: ultraracer613um on January 26, 2010, 01:43:47 PM
Is anyone else leaving their vehicle in Florida?  If so, what are your plans?
I am. Usually I use www.airportparkingreservations.com to find an offsite lot with valet service. It's convenient in that you end up at the airport when leaving and your vehicle is there when you return. It'd be great to find a local willing to let you leave your vehicle in their driveway but then you'd need to figure how to get back and forth.

In this case, I'm using ExecutiveValet Airport Parking (213.334.0200).

Jonathan

Brad Boston

Looks like we have another Boat joining us in Punta Gorda.... Bill Abbott and his wife Joanne will be sailing one of Harvey's boats.
Let's see if he can keep up on the Golf course....