Long Beach Race Week

Started by Glenn Selvin, March 06, 2009, 06:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Selvin

To all that came to LBRW, thank you.  I heard nothing but good things about the Vipers from a lot of different competitors, making for a nice, West Coast splash for the Viper class.  Good racing, good fun...  it was very nice meet you all.

And to Glen VanHeel of Snake Eyes?  I have your trophy and bag at my house here in Huntington Beach.

Glenn Selvin
LBRW Co-Chair
Middle guy on Sheriff Bart and Happy Ending

Glenn Vanheel

Quote from: Finnster on June 28, 2009, 11:55:19 PM
To all that came to LBRW, thank you.  I heard nothing but good things about the Vipers from a lot of different competitors, making for a nice, West Coast splash for the Viper class.  Good racing, good fun...  it was very nice meet you all.

And to Glen VanHeel of Snake Eyes?  I have your trophy and bag at my house here in Huntington Beach.

Glenn Selvin
LBRW Co-Chair

glenn,
thank you for you time and effort, couldn't stay for trophys, if you look at the abyc pics we rounded up and nigel rolled off the boat and must have hit his head on the keel on the way down. a little blood so we put the boat away he felt dizzy and took him to an urgent care. he's fine, just a cut no stitches. pussy!
F'ing Walker!

Jeffrey Young

Good on Boomslang for his interview and comments to the Long Beach Press-Telegram.
http://www.presstelegram.com/search/ci_12693661?IADID=Search-www.presstelegram.com-www.presstelegram.com&IADID=Search-www.presstelegram.com-www.presstelegram.com.

And, thank you, Glenn, Viper Concierge Extraordinare and co-chair of the Race Week.  ABYC and Long Beach YC put on a great show.  I think that Drew is right that this race will become the premiere West Coast Viper event. 

Thomas A. Dent

Thank you to the West Coast Viper Fleet, and all those who supported our crew in this event. We had a blast, and enjoyed sailing with you all.  I look forward to watching the fleet grow, and participating in upcoming events.
                                               - Aqua Baby, and Crew

Tim Carter

Hi all,  I did middle on #33 for Jeff Young from Dago.  He charted the boat from Viperdad for the weekend and I went along for the ride.  I had a great time meeting and sailing with all of you and I hope to see everyone back to ABYC soon......west coast home for the snakes....

Timbo
Lt Coast Gov

Drew Harper

Quote from: GVH630 on June 24, 2009, 09:08:45 PM
would anyone be interested in doing a bbq at my house in huntington beach (about 10mi away) friday or saturday night? get to know you type of thing.  

Damn...wish I would have seen this earlier. Would have been great on Sat night as the LBYC party was not nearly as great as the ABYC party the nite before. Let's do this next year, same viper time, same viper channel.

Quote from: condor on June 28, 2009, 01:57:48 PM
I just found some pics on the LBRW web site, as I sit here at the computer hiding from the 103 degree and zero breeze Austin summer.  Ugh.

And nice kite graphics, Drew!  Any comments about the Hydes vs. Quantums?  That blue Quantum kite on USA 33 looks like it's got nice big round shoulders and good projection to windward.

Race reports, fun stories, and pics when you can share them, pls!   :-)

I sailed a Q kite on Dan's boat at CRW. I also have a friend, Kame Richards, who makes legendary kites at Pineapple Sails. I'm tempted to get him involved. Frankly, I like the Hyde Kite.  I REALLY like the way it douses. The hitch point and slide point are pretty far apart and that seems to help a lot. It could be a little fuller in the MG section but I'm generally happy with it being a bit flatter as I can control it a bit easier in the breeze. Doesn't soak quite as well but we weigh in at 502 and it allows us to reach up if we need to.   Brian is working on the next gen Hyde kite which is fuller. I'm VERY interested in trying this one out in the breeze.

The big difference I see are in mainsail head profiles and the jibs. I'm completely sold on Hyde White Sails. They have a broad range, take rig prebend and positive loading well and depower well enough for us to control the boat in a blow.

The truly amazing thing is that the Hydes are SO much more affordable than the Q's and Norths. If teh next gen that Brian's Testing now live up to their expectations it'll keep the onshore sailmakers hoping.

With Brad Boston coming onto the scene, it'll be interesting to see where he goes with the design. He's done wonders for the U20 class and has been pivotal to taking that boat to the next level of performance.

Quote from: GVH630 on June 29, 2009, 01:11:15 AM

glenn,
thank you for you time and effort, couldn't stay for trophys, if you look at the abyc pics we rounded up and nigel rolled off the boat and must have hit his head on the keel on the way down. a little blood so we put the boat away he felt dizzy and took him to an urgent care. he's fine, just a cut no stitches. pussy!

Glenn, please pass along our best from Me, G and M. I hadn't heard Nigel got hurt. Glad to hear nothing horrible happened.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Drew Harper

Quote from: Finnster on June 28, 2009, 11:55:19 PM

Glenn Selvin
LBRW Co-Chair

Glenn, Thank you SO much for a GREAT regatta. We'll be back....in force next time. You done good Finny. (M sends her best AND a thong is headed your way :P)

To all the guys and gals...thank you so much for some rock hard competition, loads of laughs, learning and fun. The people make the Viper class the best in Sailing.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Glenn Vanheel

(M sends her best AND a thong is headed your way

what? m in a thong!  send pics please, she's is hot!!!!! how the hell.....nevermind!
F'ing Walker!

Glenn Selvin

Boomslang...  just make sure she doesn't wash that thong...  love the scent of a woman!