Bacardi Cup and pre-Bacardi Regatta

Started by Peter Beardsley, February 01, 2013, 12:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Furna

Does anyone have a contact for the Regatta? I need 3 party passes for Saturday nights get together. I couldn't find anything on the website..

Dave

Tim Carter

Quote from: Keith Magnussen on March 04, 2013, 08:43:42 AM
Sorry no pictures... but...

Yesterdays sailing was nice.  Fresh breeze and about 9 boats.  The wind was all over the place so if you get on the wrong side of a shift it was death.

Sailed on Ed Feo's boat Locomotion with Dave Milet and Jim Sears.  Jim was a last minute replacement since Ed has work to do.  Have not sailed on Loco so it was good to get here early and practice.  One thing we found out quickly that set up on a Viper is really important to make sure the boat is as easy and comfortable to sail as possible.  Jim does a great job with FNG and everything works really smoothly... we have some work before Bacardi to bring Loco up to this standard.

3 Races yesterday.  First race we got a good start and played the shifts pretty well.  Rounded first and extended throughout the race (the rich got richer yesterday).

2nd race bad start hurt us and some boat/crew work problems (we had never sailed as a team) hindered us.  Wind was really varying and we ended up a little to tight on the rig.  The boat that won (Sorry can't remember the number) really did a nice job and ended up with a comfortable lead.  We fought back to 2nd but lost it after a bet set and ended up third.  The last leg saw al sorts of boats rounding up and even saw a port/starbord collision with one boat breaking this bow sprit in half.  Also saw another boat break their bow sprit just sailing along.. weird. 

Third Race we got pinned on the left and it hurt.  Same boat that won the first race got a nice lead with Wild Hogs just behind them.  I think it was really hurtful to get stuck on a side and thats what happened.  Last upwind leg saw a a lot of the boats compress and we ended up in a fun battle with the 2nd and third place boats.  Wind shift on the second downwind leg and three boats had to take their kites down just to make the mark..

Hope that is something for you guys in the cold!  Will try and get some skipper names for you.. hard since I have never sailed against any of the boats here and am meeting people for the first time.
Thanks for the repot and the scouting job Keith..  looking forward to 2014 there   :)
Lt Coast Gov

Jim Sears

Races 2&3 were won by Joe Healy on 121.  Race 3 he rounded 1st mark DFL (right behind us!) and had a nice comeback.
-Jimbo - back in So Cal now... missin' Miami
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Joe Healey

Jimbo

It was nice meeting you and your team here in Miami. Sorry you had to leave and miss the second day of the pre regatta. Are you coming back to sail in the main event?
Viper 121 Live Wire

Peter Beardsley

Results from PreBacardi attached.  My understanding is that Monday was light but Sunday was pretty nice.  Main event begins on Thursday.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Matt Rowlinson

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on March 05, 2013, 10:47:47 AM
Results from PreBacardi attached.  My understanding is that Monday was light but Sunday was pretty nice.  Main event begins on Thursday.

CAN 70 scraped out a 4 in the last race. Great racing & congrats to Joe Healy.

Matt

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: Matt Rowlinson on March 05, 2013, 07:01:17 PM

CAN 70 scraped out a 4 in the last race. Great racing & congrats to Joe Healy.

Matt
Sorry about that -- the results were sent to me that way, but I guess it is unlikely that there were two boats who finished sixth and no one finished fourth.  Updated standings are posted.
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Matt Rowlinson

Woah!  That was quick--thanks. No problem at all--Matt.

Dan Tucker

I'm posting live updates at www.facebook.com/rondarboats. Like the page and follow along. Just posted a big photo album from Bacardi MSW Day 1!
Race it like you stole it.

Peter Beardsley

Thanks Dan for all the photos today and the live updates on Facebook.  Looks like there's a quick summary on the front page as well: http://www.viper640.org/calendar/eventresults/401-fun-in-the-sun
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Craig Wilusz

Day Two found some breeze today.  Our favorite PRO Judy was able to bang out 5 races in today's warm and sunny 9-12 knot breeze.  The winds were shifting to the right for the majority of FridaĆ½, finally settling to a tactical afternoon of five and ten degree shifts causing positon changes thoughout the day. 

Friday's sailing found Peter Taselaar's Bliksem two points ahead of Brad Boston sailing a Rondar worksboat. A tie and only one point behind the Canalien sailmaker has the British team led by Glyn Locke on "the snake boat" and Jason Carroll's Argo.  Rounding out the top five going into the final day of racing
is Phillip and Wendy Lotz on Arethusa.

The racing is truly a blast down here in Miami, and most of us are sure happy we are not north of Interstate 10, with the weather up north being shown on the tele down here.  Lot's of new friendships are being made with crews going out to dinner together, hanging out at the bars together, getting tossed out of bars together, and even meeting up and having a good ole fashion cook out at the off-season rental houses that can be found at a reasonable cost down here. 

The post card is right........wish you were here

Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Chapman

Well done Brad & team.

closest viper event i've ever done

Brad Boston

Hey everyone,,,

it was a great event this year! Going into the last day we had 5 boats within 5 points! You cannot ask for anything more than that:)..
The other cool thing was the 1st and 2nd boat had bow chicks!!! I also need to thank Eric and Shannon for the great job they both did!

We really look forward to sailing our new boat in Charleston.

Brad