Arizona Yacht Club's Birthday Regatta and Lukemia Cup 2010

Started by Greg Jackson, November 04, 2009, 08:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Jackson

It is about to get cold and snowy back East, but here in Arizona our winter lawns are just taking seed...

January 15th through the 17th we, at the Arizona Yacht Club, put on our biggest shin-dig of the year. The Birthday Regatta and Leukemia Cup, with this year being our 50th showing.

Last year we had six vippers compete and fleet for the second time at the Birthday Regatta and Leukemia Cup, this year promises to be even larger. Also, there are rumors that we will have other sporties of the same size competing along side of us to make the regatta that much more competitive... oops, only at the start ;)

Friday is a one day regatta, the centerboard challenge. Kind of a warm up race... with prizes. Saturday is the Leukemia Cup and Saturday and Sunday combine for the Birthday Regatta. Last year we had eight great races over the weekend with great wind and weather!

This year on Saturday night, Gary Jobson will be mingling with us as he is a huge Lukemia Society supporter!

If you have question, feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, I'll find out pretty quick...

And of course besides the racing, this regatta supports a great cause!

Greg
USA 46
heroin

Drew Harper

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Greg Jackson

NOR's, entry form, SI's and extended info are now posted...

http://www.arizonayachtclub.org/TheCalendar/2010/birthday_regatta.shtml

Hotels are near by, but there is a local company who will deliver and set up a fifth wheel trailer at the lake if you'd like to stay there in luxury or you can byot (bring your own tent)!

Send me a message if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them...

Greg
USA 46
heroin

Greg Jackson

Motor home (fifth wheel trailer) info from the guys that we have used for a few years...

http://www.horseshowcampers.com/ (I know - horses. This is Arizona after all)

Larry Hischer
480 330 3948

It looks like we will have another, and bigger, "Viper Central" again this year with the motor homes.

I'll call him tomorrow to see if we can get a Viper discount...

atgracely

I am looking to crew on a viper for this event. I really want to sail in this event. I live in NYC but I can make it out there, I have a lot of sportboat experiance. I have sailed the viper before. Can send a sailing resume if needed.

Thanks
Aaron

Glenn Vanheel

is everyone staying at the lake or hotels near the lake? and where? never done this race so where exactly do you set up and launch?
F'ing Walker!

Drew Harper

Quote from: GVH630 on December 09, 2009, 04:43:03 PM
is everyone staying at the lake or hotels near the lake? and where? never done this race so where exactly do you set up and launch?

We stayed at a Super 8 down on I think it was Bell road for about $80 night last year.

I blows like stink at the lake all night long. Tried camping there but the friggin tent blew apart...LMAO.

Setup is in the parking lot (see pic bleow) and we'll go out and hit the town one night for SURE. Stacey is gonna cook us all a HUGE dinner ;-)

There's two boat ramps...one gets a bit weedy and the other is easy. This event is pretty large and there's a bit of a line at the end of the day. It's possible you'll need to either motor or get a tow back to the ramp. Day 2, there was great wind in the AM but it petered off to 3-5 in the afternoon. Mornings are best for breeze as it's a thermal wind.

I had an absolute BALL here last year. The club really goes all out to make everyone feel welcome and the parties are great.

I'm hoping we can get Dave Morse/Timbo over too, hopefully Bill from Fresno too. I don't think Doug is making it from Richmond.

We've got some fine talent coming. Glen V has imported Chris Winnard (Ullman Sails - Seattle). Dave Ullman....where are you? Maybe Bruce Cooper from Ullman Newport. We need to work on getting Skip or Harry from the EP loft over.

Just wait for it....the yellow kite may be making an appearance too :-))

Glenn Selvin

Quote from: BoomSlang on December 09, 2009, 04:51:43 PM

We stayed at a Super 8 down on I think it was Bell road for about $80 night last year.

I blows like stink at the lake all night long. Tried camping there but the friggin tent blew apart...LMAO.

Setup is in the parking lot (see pic bleow) and we'll go out and hit the town one night for SURE. Stacey is gonna cook us all a HUGE dinner ;-)

There's two boat ramps...one gets a bit weedy and the other is easy. This event is pretty large and there's a bit of a line at the end of the day. It's possible you'll need to either motor or get a tow back to the ramp. Day 2, there was great wind in the AM but it petered off to 3-5 in the afternoon. Mornings are best for breeze as it's a thermal wind.

I had an absolute BALL here last year. The club really goes all out to make everyone feel welcome and the parties are great.

I'm hoping we can get Dave Morse/Timbo over too, hopefully Bill from Fresno too. I don't think Doug is making it from Richmond.

We've got some fine talent coming. Glen V has imported Chris Winnard (Ullman Sails - Seattle). Dave Ullman....where are you? Maybe Bruce Cooper from Ullman Newport. We need to work on getting Skip or Harry from the EP loft over.

Just wait for it....the yellow kite may be making an appearance too :-))

I have told Dave that he is going...  end of story, no excuses, no debating, no whining...  so, Dave, Ken, and I are in for the red boat.  We're still working on the blue boat in terms of two boat logistics....  but the red boat is a for sure.

Dave?  You listening?

Greg Jackson

We are staying at the lake in a rented RV or near the lake in a hotel... not sure yet. The RV is better for the parties, though.

Here are some semi-close by hotels.

This one to the North (further from central Phoenix) 14 miles from the lake.

Hampton Inn Phoenix/Anthem, AZHampton Inn Phoenix/Anthem, AZ

42415 North 41st Drive
Anthem, AZ 85086
(623) 465-7979‎
hamptoninn.com

These to the South (closer to central Phoenix) approx. 17 miles from the lake.

Residence Inn by Marriott Phoenix North/Happy Valley

2035 W. Whispering Wind Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85085
(623) 580-8833‎
marriott.com

The Courtyard by Marriott Phoenix North/Happy Valley

2029 W. Whispering Wind Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85085
(623) 580-8844‎
marriott.com

Drury Inn & Suites

2335 West Pinnacle Peak Road
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 879-8800‎
druryhotels.com

Hampton Inn & Suites Happy Valley

2550 W Charlotte Dr.
Phoenix, AZ 85085
(623) 516-9300‎
hamptoninn.com

Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix North/happy Valley

1940 West Pinnacle Peak Road
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 434-5556‎
hiltongardeninn.com

Set up is where Drew showed you near the party tent. The RV trailers are just beyond the boats.

There are two launch ramps, one further to the South of the center of the lake (read further from the start line), both should be busy for this event. The Northern ramp is where I normally launch and it is a 15 minute sail with a breeze. But I do carry a Torqueedo just in case.

Tents are allowed, as Drew mentioned, but it will be chilly at night. We can have 30 degree swings of temperatures out here in January. There will be fires and drinks around to keep you warm, however...

Keep the questions coming, it is always a great event!

David Morse

Boat deal may say you have a better driver guy.
Dave Whyyyynnninnngggg

Glenn Vanheel

so the vipers are launching at the north ramp? anyone offering tows to start line? where on the lake are the festivities (south/north ramp)?
F'ing Walker!

Greg Jackson

If a tow is needed, the Merits, the Cat 22's or one of us with a motor are usually generous... it just depends on your place in the standings ;)

Map of locations attached...

Drew Harper

Quote from: GVH630 on December 10, 2009, 12:00:43 AM
so the vipers are launching at the north ramp? anyone offering tows to start line? where on the lake are the festivities (south/north ramp)?

I've launched at both ramps...the South one can be a bit weedy....but is very close.

I'll bring the torqeedo...just in case. I can tow you Glen...Winnard's gotta paddle though :D

Everyone with a VIPER friend should ask them to make this event...it's gonna be a hoot !

Glenn Vanheel

Quote from: heroin on December 10, 2009, 10:44:38 AM
If a tow is needed, the Merits, the Cat 22's or one of us with a motor are usually generous... it just depends on your place in the standings ;)

Map of locations attached...
thanks for the map, now it's getting clear. i was thinking north and south ends of the lake for the ramps.
and drew, 'squidge' can't paddle....he needs to save his energy for the BOW!
F'ing Walker!

Stacey Loula

"Squidgy" is on the bow? Does that mean I can drive?  ;)   ha ha

"Festivities" are closer to the south ramp by the way. Near what we call "Spinnaker Point."  It will over look the lake/marina.