2010 NA's

Started by Tim Carter, July 07, 2009, 07:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Sole

The ISAF handles this in a good way if you are a Cat 1 only!! 2's and 3's get screwed.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Lee Shuckerow

Quote from: soley on October 15, 2009, 01:34:31 PM
I can't wait to have the play but don't pay rule set in stone. Put to rest all this Corinthian stuff.

Now is no one interested in group transportation for the North East fleet??
Corinthain rules have nothing to do with winning the top awards in an event. It is to provide the top amateur boats a possible award for sailing if they arent in top three. Its just one way to not discourage all amateur teams from participating because they are intimidated. Whomever wins the event whether they are pro or amateur still wins. I normally sail with a pro so i definitely dont want to exclude us!
I will say again to all of the amateurs like myself. The top guys in this class are very good and most of them are not pros!!
Jackpot  #235

Lee Shuckerow

Quote from: Justin on October 15, 2009, 01:04:43 PM
1. Nobody can be "paid" to sail.   This rule will apply to all Viper racing.

There will be a rarely used loophole that allows the class association to designate an event as "Professional", just in case a pro event wishes to use Vipers (Americas Cup in Vipers anyone??)
There will be an "interpretation" to allow sailmakers to crew as the strict definition of "paid" would exclude a sailmaker from crewing with their customers. The interpretation will not apply to designated "Amateur" events.

2. There will be a sparingly used "Amateur" designation. At a Div A (amateur) regatta the helm must either be Cat 1 or 100% owner of the boat. The only event where it is currently envisaged as Div A is the NAs.

3. No private coach boats. But Class coach boat helping all participants is allowed. 

Just wanted to chime in on some of these "new rules"
We should all remember what rules have helped this class grow. I for one got into the class for these rules in particular
-All pros are welcome to sail anytime
-Advertising on sails is welcome
-Anyone can drive any boat any time, "There were a lot of teams at NAs who switched drivers every race, which I think is awesome that two people can sail  in multiple positions on the boat and the boat can do equally well."
-Good class rules that seem to use some common sense rather than political nonsense.

So in discussing the changes to the rules above:
Rule 1-Nobody can be paid to sail.
What does it matter if someone is paid to sail, in my experience paid pros are no better than a non paid decent sailor. And the facts of the ISAF rating system is that it is a joke. If you work at West Marine your a Pro? I you scrape barnacles off of boats at a boat yard your a Pro? Do a little stitching at a sail loft.........
I personally have no desire to ever pay someone to sail. But if a buddy of mine is a pro and we've been sailing with and against each other for the better part of 18 years I dont want any thought that they cant be on the helm or crewing with me.
And always the all encompassing rule when money is involved noone can keep track of what you're paying for!

Rule 2- Class A for NAs? If my partner in the boat is a pro and has driven every regatta on the boat that year he cant sail NAs? Thats quite a slap in the face.

Rule 3- No coach boats? If we had a no coaching on the water rule wouldnt that get your point across. In this class in particular it seems silly to get rid of coach boats all together. Most people dont have motors.
And if someone decides to bring their own support boat it helps the whole class.
We brought our support boat down to Charleston race Week last year and had Tac Boston at the helm. He gave us some good input but at times I thought he was coaching other boats more than he was helping us. He also rescued some folks who had some misfortune with shallow spots.

Any way thats my 4 cents

Jackpot  #235

John Porter

I have a question for all you rule Gurus. 

I am ramping up coaching for the Opti kids in Savannah.  The Savannah Yacht Club has a coach boat, but they want me to be a paid employee for insurance purposes for me to use it.

If I'm paid as a employee (even though I don't want to be) won't this change my status as a Category 1?  Should I allow this or fight the club to open their insurance so I can still remain an amatuer (and play with other non-amatuers).

What's your thoughts?

JP

Pai

Quote from: cool beans - V26 on October 22, 2009, 09:26:04 PM

I am ramping up coaching for the Opti kids in Savannah.  The Savannah Yacht Club has a coach boat, but they want me to be a paid employee for insurance purposes for me to use it.

If I'm paid as a employee (even though I don't want to be) won't this change my status as a Category 1?  Should I allow this or fight the club to open their insurance so I can still remain an amatuer (and play with other non-amatuers).

What's your thoughts?

JP

Your status as Group 1 would not be changed because though you will be officially labeled as "working" for the Savannah Yacht Club in the Opti class, you will have maintained an independent "racing" status from that class:

Key Points
-You will be "paid for work" that does not involve competing in a race.
-Though you may manage, train, prep, and maintain the Opti's, you will not compete in that boat or "team."

The Fine Print
Group 3
A Group 3 competitor is a competitor who, within the Qualification
Period
(a) has been paid for work that includes:
(i) competing in a race,
(ii) managing, training, practicing, tuning, testing, maintaining or
otherwise preparing a boat, its crew, sails or equipment for
racing, and then competed on that boat, or in a team
competition, in a boat of the same team; or
(b) has been paid for allowing his or her name or likeness to be used
in connection with his or her sailing performance, sail racing results
or sailing reputation, for the advertising or promotion of any
product or service; or
(c) has publicly identified himself or herself as a Group 3 competitor or
as professional racing sailor; or
(d) has been paid either for services in connection with the provision of
a boat for Racing or for the provision of the boat itself and then
competed on that boat, or in a team competition, in a boat of the
same team.
However a Group 1 competitor who, as an owner of a boat, is
occasionally paid a charter fee for the provision of that boat for a
racing competition shall remain a Group 1 competitor provided he
does not steer that boat in that competition. If the competition is a
team event this dispensation shall only apply if he does not steer
any boat in the same team as the boat chartered.

Drew Harper

Sorry John,

You really shouldn't have told us this. I am filing your new Cat 3 status with ISAF. You are no longer allowed to sail your Viper. I have to come take charge.

Once again, sorry.

Please have the boat delivered to Miami for the NA's and can you wax her up for me too ;-)

Best to you . . . Drew

Quote from: cool beans - V26 on October 22, 2009, 09:26:04 PM

I am ramping up coaching for the Opti kids in Savannah.  The Savannah Yacht Club has a coach boat, but they want me to be a paid employee for insurance purposes for me to use it.

If I'm paid as a employee (even though I don't want to be) won't this change my status as a Category 1?  Should I allow this or fight the club to open their insurance so I can still remain an amatuer (and play with other non-amatuers).

What's your thoughts?

JP

'Tis a nice thing you're doing John. If you haven't read 'Saving Sailing' it's worth the read and just what is jsut what you are managing to do with your volunteerism. ...thank you...d
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

John Porter

Thanks for the help guys, and drew, for the right price, just about anything I own can be yours :-)

JP

Matt Sole

Doesn't the ISAF have a special dispensation for paid Junior and collegiate coaches??
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Justin Scott

The beauty about the Viper class is that John's racing is not affected by his ISAF category.

1. As long as he is not paid, he can crew on anyones boat at any time. Even if he is Cat Three he could drive anyone's boat at any regatta except designated amateur regattas, provided he is not paid.
2. He 100% owns his own boat so he can drive at any regatta, including a designated amateur regatta.

How much is Savannah paying anyhow?

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Tim Carter

Quote from: Justin on October 27, 2009, 08:46:05 AM
2. He 100% owns his own boat so he can drive at any regatta, including a designated amateur regatta

I'm a little foggy on this....  What would a "designated amateur regatta" be ???
Lt Coast Gov

David Morse

It would seem to reason that a designated amateur regatta would be free on "non-amateur" or pro types.

Jay Harrell

Matt Sole

I am a little concerned about the upcoming 2010 NA's. Everything looks very nice and very posh party tents ashore. My concern is if the atmosphere will be similar to the 09 NA's. The parties this year were outstanding with the Yacht Clubs pretty much letting us have the run of the place. At both parties I was absolutely wasted, especially Saturday night. I made a complete arse of my self on several occasions but I was still not asked to leave. I am a little uncertain if Coral Reef can cope with the Viper level of revelry.
Anyone partied their arse off at this location before?
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Justin Scott

Soley....... Miami !  Star Class!  Coral Reef! Bacardi ! The question is can the Vipers hold our own.  These guys invented Party. We are talking about residents of a city that lives each night as if it is their last.

Someone link him to the pictures posted on SA from the Coral Reef Cup. 
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Matt Sole

Just checking thats all
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78