2010 NA's

Started by Tim Carter, July 07, 2009, 07:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Harrell

The weather finally won, no viper racing today.

Bill Weinhold

hiss...you boys run 6 tomorrow!  All day to sock it to the sponsor, gonna be a long day tomorrow!
WSYC

Lee Shuckerow

Awesome regatta. If you missed this one don't miss charleston race week. If anyone is looking for photos try imagesbymarco.com. He a buddy of ours from Miami and he took thousands of shots of the viper class. There are a lot of entertaining shots especially of saturday.
Jackpot  #235

Jeff Jones

Congrats to team Shuck - great regatta!   Man, great event..  i hope everyone has plans for CRW - 21 boats on the line in Miami was great sailing!

Thanks for the photo link!

Olaf Bleck

Hi all!  Had a great time in Miami breathing life back into #56 as a racing yacht!  I bought her on Sat., mod'd the keel by Monday PM, drove a Viper for the first time ever at sunset, made the last practice race Tue., fixed stuff that broke continuously all week, spent lots of money, learned about broaching, and even managed to own the committee boat for one race by the next Sat!

Of course next time I go out in 20+knots, I'd like to have a carbon stick.  Sponsors?!

Roll Credits....

Thanks tons to everyone that helped us out and encouraged us on!  It would have been a disaster without.  A few notable mentions, Kay, who's responsible for all this at the heart of it, Justin, Paul Z, Dan for sails, Charlie for the spare spin halyard, Oren "the man" who is a boat repair god, John and all the folks at Shake-a-Leg for their unending generosity, Judy and the RC for running a great, pro regatta, and the many others who lent a hand, a tool, some space, or some advice.

And lastly, my undying and faithful walk-on crew, Lisa and Scott.  You guys rock.

See you all in Charleston!
-Olaf
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Dan Tucker

Another great Viper regatta is in the books. Congratulations to Shuck, Brad and Eric, 2X Viper NA's champs. Maybe you'll actually get to see your trophy soon!

+ the dockbox bar and boozin' in the hanger, these guys also take a serious run at winning the parties...

Major props and welcome to Olaf, for pulling it all together with a new-to-him boat and hosting an awesome steak dinner for 5 Viper crews. Thanks also to Ben P for making me wait to leave Miami until 11:00 AM on Sunday, so we could score some of the Cory Silken banners that were hanging in the Bacardi tent. The 6 x 10 banner with the photo of Endeavor looks terrific on my office wall  :)

I have to skip Charleston this year for work & too much travel (the boat will be there though, with better sailors than I!) but will absolutely be back for Miami Sailing Week in 2011! With my crew from this regatta giving me so much shit, I may be getting ready to start taking the actual racing a bit more seriously soon.

Race it like you stole it.

Tim Carter

What was the final count on rigs lost??
Lt Coast Gov

Paul Zimmerman

ZERO.

To date in three years there have only been 6 rigs lost.  Not really a problem considering most if not all were do to user error.

Jeff Jones

And it was nuking on Saturday.   I spent a lot of time looking around (between races) and it appeared proper pre-bend was had by all.   

I wonder what the highest wind reading was during the afternoon.

Melges 20's went in and i think i read that there was a bit of gear failure.  Stars' also took to the dock.   

Dan Tucker

A J/24 broke a rudder on our circle on Saturday.
Race it like you stole it.

Tim Carter

Quote from: viper55 on March 17, 2010, 08:39:07 AM
ZERO.

To date in three years there have only been 6 rigs lost.  Not really a problem considering most if not all were do to user error.

Thanks 55, I was talking to R. Peters last night on his way back, he was on a Star, he implied to me that he saw rigs come down and a lot of broaching in the breeze...  :)

After the rigs that came down last year, I was under the impression that there were some mods to the rig specs by the builder, if rigs came down, I was hoping they were not the "New, Improved" version...

I hope lots of friends make it out for LBRW....  Breeze on, no lay days...   ;)

Tim
Lt Coast Gov

Lee Shuckerow

Stars lost 5 or so masts.
Jackpot  #235

Tim Carter

Quote from: Shuck on March 19, 2010, 10:08:37 PM
Stars lost 5 or so masts.
Yea, thats SOP in Stars, didn't want the Vip to get a similar rep....
Lt Coast Gov

Lee Shuckerow

Hey for some good pics of day four, the windiest day that was sailed in the NAs, go to http://www.imagesbymarco.com/p14512274 . There are some good wipeouts and only 300+ photos tomlook through.
Jackpot  #235

Matt Sole

Wow what a set of pictures!
I hope we see some wipe out weather in Charleston. I need more broach recovery practice!
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78