2010 NA's

Started by Tim Carter, July 07, 2009, 07:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Furna

I thought I had a lonng drive down, leaving from NC........14hrs for me. The drive home will be the tough one after a week of racin and rum drinkin in Miami.

Can't wait. Leaving 1 week from Saturday morning.

Kay VanValkenburgh

Hi all -

We are renting a house within stumbling distance of the YC. One room with a queen bed has just become available - cancellation due to family emergency. The house looks like a nice one (hand picked by Karen, the expert in finding great vacation rentals).

If you're interested, send me a PM. We're splitting the costs and have the place from Saturday to Saturday; the share for each room is $700. If you don't need the room for the first weekend, one person has already offered to pay for Saturday thru Monday. In that case, the cost would be $400 for Tuesday thru Saturday.

Give a shout.

Looking forward to this!
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Jonathan Nye

Some questions with answers some of you may be asking yourselves:

Q:  Is the in-the-water time still Tuesday?
A:  No. The NOR has been amended to say boats do not need to be in the water until 1100 on Wednesday.

Q:  Where do I launch my boat?
A:  The event launch location is the Seminole boat ramp, located at Dinner Key Marina, 2710 S. Bayshore Drive Coconut Grove, Miami. If you want to make your own arrangements you can try the US Sailing Center or Shake-a-Leg (contact numbers below) though they may impose a fee. Both of these locations use hoists.

Q:  If I arrive before Tuesday, March 9, where can I leave my boat?
A:  Try Shake-a-Leg (305) 858-5550 or the US Sailing Center (305) 854-0122. Mention that you need transient storage through Tuesday, March 9 and one or the other should be able to help out.

Q:  May I launch from the Seminole ramp if I arrive the weekend of March 6/7?
A:  Am awaiting an answer to this. Better option may be to launch from Shake-a-Leg or the Sailing Center.

Q:  Once the regatta has started, where do I keep my boat?
A:  Boats are to be kept at Biscayne Bay Yacht Club (2540 S. Bayshore Drive, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL) in one of the many slips (but not in the lagoon).

Q:  Will it be obvious how I get to the race course?
A:  Not completely. Outside the channels the bay can be very shallow so stay inside the channel. Once in the bay there's plenty of water. We're the northern-most circle so finding the starting area should not be difficult.

Q:  The SIs identify a number of locations for various things (Coral Reef YC for changes to the SIs, Biscayne Bay YC for signals made ashore and Shake-a-Leg for protest hearings. Are all these places within walking distance?
A:  Yes

Q:  Where is Coral Reef Yacht Club?
A:  2484 S. Bayshore Drive, Coconut Grove, Miami FL.

Q:  How about the US Sailing Center?
A:  2476 S. Bayshore Drive, Coconut Grove, Miami FL.

Q:  And Shake-a-Leg?
A:  2620 S. Bayshore Drive, Coconut Grove, Miami FL.

If there are any other questions, ask. I may not have the answer right away but will help in any way I can.

Things may seem a little discombobulated given all the locations at which stuff is happening but everything is close. And in the end, to sail on Biscayne Bay in March makes the effort definitely worthwhile.

Jonathan

Jonathan Nye

Q: Is there another number for the US Sailing Center?
A:  If the previous number doesn't work for you, try (305) 793-6186 and ask for Pat Downey.

Q: Where do trailers get stored?
A:  The Dinner Key parking lot.

Jonathan

Albert Heller

Is there a crane available?  Somehow we have to sort out the unpacking of Harvey's two boats on the double trailer.

Jonathan Nye

Cranes (I used the term hoists) are available at Shake-a-Leg and the US Sailing Center. Suggest you call them to make arrangements (numbers in the post above). They should both be tall enough.
Jonathan

Jonathan Nye

The question about insurance on the General Discsussion board made me realize it would be worthwhile to remind everyone competing in the NAs that the NOR requires people to have proof of insurance when they register. So bring a copy of your policy.
Jonathan

Tac Boston

With all the money and technology down there in Miami you would think that results could be posted kind of live wire no?

Fletcher

Viper 207 Back in Business

Mark Cribbs

Or at least when the racing was over.  The Star results are posted, where are the Viper results?

Fletcher

Viper 207 Back in Business

Tim Carter

Who won the drinking competion last night...

I compete in the senior Cat 3 class.....
Lt Coast Gov

Jeff Jones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotairsj/

photo's from the comedy boat

if anyone want's a large verison of one of these' PM me

Bill Weinhold

Thanks for posting the pics. not a lot of info coming out of Miami, wishin I was there!
WSYC

Jay Harrell

Friday morning, under postponement pending incoming weather system.