Charter boat available for the 2009 NA's

Started by Harvey Barnes, August 17, 2009, 04:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Vanheel

Quote from: Jay Harrell on August 20, 2009, 02:04:29 PM
Geez, do the math before you conclude this is so expensive; it's a $30k boat with new sails.  The first $500 covers only the depreciation in the new sails.  Transportation could easily eat up the rest -I've seen just under $1/mile quoted for transportation.   Then I'm sure someone could do a present-value calculation over say 6 regattas per year for 10 years?  And how about storage and maintenance costs? 

Before long it starts to look like one heck of a good deal, particularly if you are coming from very far away.

sorry mr. harrell if we offended anyone. just sticker shock i suppose. when we chartered catalina 37s (ones used in congressional cup) for long beach race week a few years back, those went for $350/day. so i guess there are just better bargains out west. we'll at least if/until the nat'l come out west. then i just may charter my boat out.

more power to ya if you get someone to charter the boat. sure would pay for some extra sails. so i get the point. you have your fleet built there and were in the process of building so we're coming in from 2 different avenues. it just makes it harder for us to go back and compete (airfare, hotel, transportation, food, charter, entry, and other expenses). i'm just, not a rich person with a family to support.
F'ing Walker!

Jay Harrell

Ops, I didn't intend to sound offended.  Not at all.  I think the sticker shock is a pretty reasonable reaction - being a cheap dinghy sailor myself I had some shock too the first time I saw that number. It's too much for me personally to put up for a regatta - I just don't have that kind of money.  Unfortunately though, after I thought about it some more, I decided it's not really an unreasonable figure for a new boat with new sails.

BTW, I'm in Georgia - our fleet isn't nearly "built" yet.  Still plenty of work left to do here.

Quote from: GVH630 on August 20, 2009, 03:17:56 PM
sorry mr. harrell if we offended anyone. just sticker shock i suppose. when we chartered catalina 37s (ones used in congressional cup) for long beach race week a few years back, those went for $350/day. so i guess there are just better bargains out west. we'll at least if/until the nat'l come out west. then i just may charter my boat out.

more power to ya if you get someone to charter the boat. sure would pay for some extra sails. so i get the point. you have your fleet built there and were in the process of building so we're coming in from 2 different avenues. it just makes it harder for us to go back and compete (airfare, hotel, transportation, food, charter, entry, and other expenses). i'm just, not a rich person with a family to support.

David Morse

I never claimed new sails or any of what has been said.  From what I hear, my rate is a little on the low side.
Please note, from my position, I meant no offense-- and I didn't realize the boat brand spankin new.

Alec Rapaport

So, if a charter boat for the NA's was, say, $150/day for 3 days and you brought your own sails, would any of you left coasters come and play?

Or was this more of a general commentary?

Glenn Vanheel

Quote from: US83 on August 23, 2009, 02:32:39 PM
So, if a charter boat for the NA's was, say, $150/day for 3 days and you brought your own sails, would any of you left coasters come and play?

Or was this more of a general commentary?

now that's an awesome deal! i was thinking $200-250 less sails is a good deal. but i just cancelled my vacation time last thursday and it was scooped up by someone else, so i'm out! dammit!
F'ing Walker!

Tac Boston

Just an FYI

I just put together a Melges 20 NA's team. The charter that we could have had was a private owned boat and the asking price was $1000/day. Which I believe is at the top end but not unreasonable.

Tac

Tim Carter

I've been watching the discussion on charter fee's.....  Been in the Etchells class for the last 10yrs, done a couple of worlds.  The "usual" fee for a charter boat @ a worlds was ~ 1000-1200 US.  This was for the entire regatta about 5 days, you are required to bring your own sails per class regs.  I could argue that an Etchells is MUCH more boat than a Viper and collisions are pretty common.

I personaly think 500/ day for a 3 day regatta is on the high end, and I hope the comment of sail deprecation was somewhat tounge-in-cheek.....  They last all year right  ;)

And $1000/ day for a melgi is just stupid...  Hell a "Happy Ending" by the Vivid girls every night of the regatta STILL would not be worth it.   =:0
Lt Coast Gov

Drew Harper

Reality Check.

Call up your local rental location and ask what you can rent a Catalina 22 for the day. Head to your local lake and rent a Laser...$25-30/hour.

Seriously, a CHERRY Viper, spanky new. This is a cheap deal.

Cherry J-24's were chartering for $500 day for the worlds. Melges 24's commonly charter for $1000 day. 32's for $2000.

Yeah, it'd be great to have it cost less but seriously. The f'n boat costs over 30 grand.

I've spent my life renting boats and the simple facts are most people view boat charters along the same lines as car rentals. They beat the shit out of them and think it's ok. One has to enter into a charter agreement with this in mind or they're nuts

OK, off my soapbox now. Carry on :-)
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Justin Scott

I'll chip in here.

As you all know I own two boats and I've lent them for regattas to help promote the growth of the class, and one time one of my boats was chartered .

The going rate for a subsidized charter at CRW and Miami for a new Viper was $1,500 + $100 insurance and the folks providing the boats were not doing it for the money. They were offering their boats to help the class, and it was widely regarded as a good deal. So much so that we had more folks looking for good boats than we had boats. Most owners of new boats with good sails were frankly not prepared to risk the hassle for $1,500. Rondar helped out by giving a few perks to those who provided boats.

A new Rondar boat with new sails attending a 3 day regatta with a one day practise is not going to be a dime below $2k unless you are lending it to a very good friend. And, speaking as the guy who has to beg for people to provide boats...I'm deeply appreciative of folks who charter new boats at that sort of level. The subsidized, factory owned equivalents in other classes are more money than that.

It a whole different story with older Performance boats without sails or with tired sails.

If anyone wants to do a budget charter, I can provide a couple of boats at $500 for the whole regatta. You pick up from owner - use the existing old sails or bring your own. These are genuinely available! Bring power tools.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Lee Shuckerow

Quote from: Justin on August 29, 2009, 12:54:06 PM

If anyone wants to do a budget charter, I can provide a couple of boats at $500 for the whole regatta. You pick up from owner - use the existing old sails or bring your own. These are genuinely available! Bring power tools.

That puts chartering into a good perspective doesn't it?
Jackpot  #235

Somers Kempe

Justin - I thought the $500 a day charter fee we had at Coral Reef Cup last year was perfect.  We didn't treat the boat like a rental, and went out and had a blast.  Who knows what would have happened if we had brought new sails, not missed the skipper meeting, and didn't stay out at Mangoes all night...  ;)

Any availability next Coral Reef Cup?  Maybe for two Bermuda teams?
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Harvey Barnes

We'll have boats available for this regatta.

Drew Harper

As it turned out, HydroSpear did charter a new boat. The guy, Barry Parkin, took third and more importantly is buying a boat and starting a new fleet at his club on WLIS.

I'd like to do the Coral Reef(er) but I gotta save up my $$ for Bacardi.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"