Viper NA's in SF Bay 2013? Watch AC34?

Started by Drew Harper, February 18, 2011, 01:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Harper

I know there's some proposals floating out there.

I thought I'd float this by the fleet before asking my club to see if they want to take a run at this.

My thoughts are to run it in late August out of South Beach Yacht Club. Big Breeze and flat (relatively) water. Then afterwards the attendees can hang out and watch the Louis Vitton. I suppose we could run it in Sept to to watdh the Cup afterwards...would run concurrently with the M24 Worlds (they'll be slugging it out on the Berkeley Olympic Circle...yuck)

Upside is LOTS of action in town. Downside is it's a LOOONG way for the East Coast to travel but WHAT a carrot at the end of the travel stick...huh?

Hotels will be at a premium though I think booking down the Peninsula 10 or so miles will remove those issues.

What do ya'll think?
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Olaf Bleck

#24 is in!

Love the idea.  If not the NA's, at least SOMETHING...!
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Justin Scott

Dont know enough about weather patterns - but how about immediately after the cup?
Some can come early and watch the cup.
The rest can arrive as the room rates plunge as a result of the hotel overbuild.

After the spectacle of the super cats hurtling around wears off, the M24 worlds may be more interesting racing for spectators.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Tim Carter

How about this being the venue for the 2013 Pacific Coast Championship??
Lt Coast Gov

Matt Sole

September after the Cup is a more interesting proposal.
I also wouldn't want to take my boat that far away in the middle of the summer. Since the M24 fleet got there first, does it make sense to compete directly against them?

The 6 boat trailer for that would be epic. Book me a spot.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Drew Harper

I like after the D-Cup ;-) too.

It runs until Sept 22. Maybe 9/26-29?

Matt Sole

Would rather the week earlier. I would want to be back East for the HPDO.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Drew Harper

Week(s) earlier will be impossible. The Cup runs hard from LV to the Finals. I'm sitting on a couple committees including the YRA/USCG liason...kind of a nightmare.

Best to think about this the week after the Cup.

Melges 24 worlds will be that week too! Would make quite a statement...particularly if we had more boats!

South Beach Yacht Club is considering hosting this. We'd be racing off the A-Cup compound in the Shadow of the 72's.

Zim, Parker and I are working hard on national transportation alternatives that might make a transcontinental exodus much easier and more affordable.

What do you think?