Larchmont Memorial Day - May 26-27 ($0 entry, free party, morning clinic, etc)

Started by Peter Beardsley, February 23, 2012, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

Normally I wouldn't start promoting Larchmont Memorial Day quite this early with a couple of other major east coast Viper events still to come (Bacardi Cup, Charleston, Wickford), but there's a new offer that's come up that may help people with post Charleston planning.

We will be able to let people store Vipers after Charleston Apr. 22 on your way back north until Memorial Day 5 weeks later, free of charge.  First come, first serve, probably limited to 5 Vipers at most or so to not attract a ton of attention.  But if you were planning to come to both and don't need your Viper in eastern CT, Newport, Marblehead, Canada, etc. for 5 weeks and want to improve your mileage and have faster driving times, email me to reserve a spot.  

For 5-6 other Vipers, we'll also have regular LYC Saturday fleet racing the following weeks on June 2 and June 9, and can allow people to leave boats at LYC after Memorial Day rigged with masts up in case people want to get in an additional day or two of racing.  

The regatta is otherwise May 26-27 (SATURDAY-SUNDAY), similar format to last year when we had 16 Vipers on the line.  We're aiming for 20+ Vipers on the line this year, which shouldn't be hard since we're now up to 9 Vipers at LYC and have 25+ in WLIS.  LYC Memorial Day is Regatta # 1 of 3 in the WLIS Championship Circuit (YRALIS Champs at Indian Harbor in early August is #2, Stamford Viper Open in late August is #3), and it may also count toward the east coast championship circuit depending on how that plays out.  

We now have 3 hoists for launching Vipers.  First warning both days is 2:25pm -- to fill the gap, we'll have a clinic one morning with Viper superstars to be announced (hopefully a couple of sailmakers and class champions), and some on-the-water drills the other day.  In any case, the later start time also makes it so that people can drive in Saturday morning if need be.  We'll have a free keg or two depending on turnout post racing on Saturday, and trophies for the top 3 on Sunday.  Not bad for $0 entry fee.  Last year there was good wind both days to allow for 4 races -- aiming for at least 5 races this year.  

Also if people let me know early enough, we may be able to accommodate with free housing -- preference given to people coming the farthest distance who let me know early enough.  

There's no NOR yet -- usually that doesn't come out until later since it's otherwise an informal event for the other classes (it's a multi-class that includes Etchells, Shields, IODs, S-Boats, with Vipers starting first, and no need to wait for all classes to finish to start another race), but I'm happy to record informal entries here.   We'll also have simpler courses this year with no short mark confusion (if it's any consolation to the detractors, the LYC RC won a Moosehead in 2011 for last year's first race mess on Sunday -- that's not par for the course for those guys though).  In any case, it should be fun.   Let me know if you're in.  Assume as of right now that we're up to 9 entries already since I think all of the LYC boats will be there.  If I surveyed the WLIS fleet, we may already be up to 15+ entries unofficially.  
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Bob McHugh

Peter Beardsley

Reminder: Larchmont Memorial Day is just 3.5 weeks away.  This is Regatta #2 on the northeast Viper circuit for 2012.  Free entry fee, free party hosted by the Larchmont Viper fleet Saturday night.  I am told we have the "A" team on Race Committee for this year for those who may have had a problem with Race 3 last year.  

Entry form is still required even though it's a free event.  Entry form and SIs are posted at http://www.larchmontyc.org/racing/memorialday2012public.shtml

Working scratch sheet: (19 boats as of May 2 -- need to know how many people are coming to make sure we have enough kegs and can work out BBQ details)

18 Dave Nickerson / Moise Solomon
22 Ben Steinberg
50 Mark McGowan
54 Justin Scott
81 Bob McHugh
86 Doug Mroz
94 Jonathan Nye
95 Hale Holden / Gregg Delany
121 Joe Healey
124 Rich Prieto
159 Peter Bauer
160 Jason Carroll / John Baxter
161 Peter Beardsley / David Owen
162 Bob Matthews
163 Cam McKnight / Jim King
169 Jay Rhame
176 Kayvan Heravi / Pierce Crosbie (with Paul Zimmerman as guest crew)
177 Gabe Jostrom / Patrick Mauro
179: Team Dragon Fire (Sunday only)
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on February 23, 2012, 03:36:57 PM

We now have 3 hoists for launching Vipers.  First warning both days is 2:25pm -- to fill the gap, we'll have a clinic one morning with Viper superstars to be announced (hopefully a couple of sailmakers and class champions), and some on-the-water drills the other day.  In any case, the later start time also makes it so that people can drive in Saturday morning if need be.  We'll have a free keg or two depending on turnout post racing on Saturday, and trophies for the top 3 on Sunday.  Not bad for $0 entry fee.  Last year there was good wind both days to allow for 4 races -- aiming for at least 5 races this year.  

I might add that the late start time on Sunday last year was an absolute godsend. Somers came over from Bermuda with Goslings 140 . The fleet was in great shape on Sunday morning at 1.30am but in complete shambles by 10.00am . I had several teams staying at my house and the only person who was up before 10 was my eleven year old son who was roundly cursed by a Viper owner (names withheld to protect the guilty) for eating his cereal too loudly.  
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Peter Beardsley

And with the late start time on Saturday, you can drive in Saturday morning at a relatively normal hour and rig / launch with no serious issues.  Only a 1-1.5 mile sail to the racecourse, three working hoists, plenty of drysail space.  If you want to come in earlier, we'll have a couple of featured speakers to run through rigging and tuning issues (Technical Committee chair and 2011 east coast circuit champ Dave Nickerson on Viper rigging and optimization, North Sails Viper guru Ched Proctor to talk about Viper tuning), and if conditions allow, we can hit the water a bit early on one or both days for some drills, and have LYC's Sailing Director committed to coming out one day to drop marks and take some video.  

We even have a committed venue for the Saturday night BBQ already at Peter "Wild Hog" Bauer's place, with a front and backyard large enough to accommodate the entire fleet.  19 boats committed, 20-25 likely.  Let me know if you plan to be there.  Several local crew / prospective owners available and already lined up to sail if anyone needs 'em.  
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Peter Beardsley

Updated scratch sheet -- down a couple of boats but have 18 confirmed with a couple more likely to attend.  Ched Proctor from North Sails and Brad Boston from Doyle Sails are planning to be there for the morning clinics, as well as Viper Class Technical Committee / boat repair / rigging gurus Dave Nickerson and Ben Steinberg. 

22 Ben Steinberg
50 Mark McGowan
54 Justin Scott
81 Bob McHugh
94 Jonathan Nye
121 Joe Healey
124 Rich Prieto
159 Peter Bauer
160 Jason Carroll / John Baxter
162 Bob Matthews
169 Jay Rhame
170 David Daugherty

Maybe / likely (pending confirmation)
15 Andy Stoddard / Matt Jadamec
122 Barry Parkin / John Logue
172 Charles Goodrich
anyone else I can talk into showing up at Wickford
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Peter Beardsley

For those who get to LYC early on Saturday, around 1000 or so, we'll have 3-time defending North American champion Brad Boston of Doyle Sails on hand to give his thoughts on Viper boatspeed and tuning, along with Viper guru from North Sails Ched Proctor, and Tech Committee chairman Dave Nickerson to look over your boat and offer rigging suggestions and to let you know what is and isn't legal.  Brad will be in a motorboat Saturday afternoon before and during racing to offer thoughts to the fleet.  Ched will be racing with us and will wax philosophical about spreader angle sweep on Sunday and the zen of spinnaker trim.

If you need housing, we can help with that if you let me know ASAP.  If you need crew, we can help there too -- again, please let me know ASAP.

We need to know who will be coming to the BBQ Saturday night -- please forward this to your crew and send a headcount to me.  Significant others are welcome, even if they're not racing, but we need to know how much food to get in advance.  For those who like printing out directions early, Peter Bauer's address for the Saturday night BBQ is: 242 Melbourne Ave., Mamaroneck, NY.

Sailing Instructions are posted at http://www.larchmontyc.org/racing/memorialday2012public.shtml -- please read the YRA Sailing Instructions on the right side of the page, and the First Amendment to the SIs.

Also, even though this is a free regatta, please complete the Entry Form and send it to the RC (email, snail mail, or handing it in Saturday morning) -- otherwise, your name won't show up on the scores properly.

If you want to drop off your boat on Friday afternoon and rig, that's fine, but please email me to let me know, and copy LYC Waterfront Director Lincoln White ([email protected]) and Boatyard Manager Brenden Randall ([email protected]) to let us know in advance so that we're not surprised by an early crush of boats.  We have all 3 hoists working at LYC and if we're coordinated, we should be able to use nearly all of them at once to speed up launching.

Please note that LYC Memorial Day counts toward the Northeast Viper Circuit (Regatta # 2 of 6) and is regatta # 1 of 3 in the WLIS Viper Championship Circuit.  Regatta # 2 is YRALIS Champs Aug. 4-5 @ Indian Harbor YC: http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=643 and Regatta # 3 is the Stamford One Design Invite Aug. 25-26: http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=104  You need to do 2 of the 3 to qualify, and we'll be figuring out low-key circuit prizes for all, with bonus prizes for people who compete in every circuit event (northeast and WLIS).

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.  The early forecast calls for sun and warm weather -- maybe even a seabreeze on Saturday, with a shifty northerly that will likely ensure that everyone in the fleet has at least one great weather mark rounding on Sunday.
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Peter Beardsley

Updated scratch sheet -- sitting at 17 boats right now, and a very competitive 17 at that.  Should be fun.

22 Ben Steinberg
50 Mark McGowan
54 Justin Scott
81 Bob McHugh
94 Jonathan Nye
121 Joe Healey
122 Barry Parkin / John Logue
124 Rich Prieto
159 Peter Bauer
162 Bob Matthews
169 Jay Rhame
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Peter Beardsley

Ended up with 16 boats on the line this weekend since Team Dragonfire finished the Around Block Island Race at 3:45 am on Sunday morning -- in 1st place on their J/122, but too tired to sail on Sunday. 

Saturday morning Brad Boston and Ched Proctor walked around the drysail area as everyone got ready to talk about rigging and tuning tips.  Race 1 started in 10-12 kts from the south, windward-leeward twice around.  On the first run, the sky got dark over Larchmont and we could hear thunder overhead, with a strong storm passing north.  The RC allowed the race to finish without shortening, but sent the fleet in for the day after the first race.  No lightning, but while derigging the fleet was hit with a torrential downpour.  Boat 18 with Dan Nickerson driving won, with Wild Hogs in second and Justin Scott in third.

Things dried out enough for the bulk of the fleet to make it over to Peter and Carol Bauer's place for a BBQ, complete with fleet keg, burgers, hot dogs, and an inflatable wild hog tied to the roof. 

Sunday was a lighter northeaster that never settled into the hoped for southerly until well after the awards, but allowed for two solid races in 5-8 kts.  Joe Healey, with Christian Manchester and Ben Parker, won both races, putting them into first overall for the weekend.  Out-of-towners took all the podium spots with Team Nickerson with OJ O'Connell in second, and Ben Steinberg / Kelly Dumas / third guy whose name I forget in third.  Team Parkin rolled a 2,3 on Sunday to move up to 4th.  New Viper owner Mark McGowan sailing the recommissioned Rattler made it to his first event, as did new Larchmont team Pierce Crosbie and Kayvan Heravi, with Paul Zimmerman guiding them around the course on Saturday to round the windward mark in third in their first Viper race.

Results:
1. Healey: 6,1,1 = 8
2. Nickerson: 1,4,4 = 9
3. Steinberg: 4,3,5 = 12
4. Parkin: 9,2,3 = 14
5. Rhame: 14,5,2 = 21
6. Bauer: 2,10,10 = 22
7. Nye: 5,8,9 = 22
8. Scott: 3,7,13 = 23
9. Matthews: 11,11,6 = 28
10. Owen/Beardsley: 13,9,7 = 29
11. McHugh: 12,6,12 = 30
12. Crosbie/Heravi = 7,13,11 = 31
13. Prieto: 10,15,8 = 33
14. McKnight/King: 8,14,15 = 37
15. Holden/Delany = OCS, 12, 14 = 44
16. McGowan: DNS, 16, DNF = 52
17. Lamotte/Weiss/Asch: DNS,DNS,DNS=54
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Dave Nickerson

Congrats to Joe and team and big thanks to Peter Beardsley, Peter and Carol Bauer and the Larchmont fleet.  You guys know how to host a regatta.

The third guy with Ben Steinberg was Steve O'Connell (dad of OJ who was sailing with Dan and me).  He's the Evolution sails guy...
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Joe Healey

It was great sailing against all of you guys. A very deep fleet. There were at least 7 or 8 boats that could have won. Thanks to Peter Bauer for hosting a great fleet party and all of the LYC Viper fleet for their friendly hospitality. I will be back for one or more of the YRA series races over the summer.

Joe H
Viper 121 Live Wire

Peter Bauer

Congrats to Joe on the win and thanks to everyone for coming out to Race and party!  Here's to a great summer of Viper racing.

Peter Beardsley

Viper 333 "Glory Days"