Author Topic: 2011 Bowlegs Regatta Report  (Read 2240 times)

Craig Wilusz

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
  • Don't Piss Deborah Off........please
2011 Bowlegs Regatta Report
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
Hi,Ya'all!  Three Viper 640s were given their own class at the 2011 Billy Bowlegs Regatta in Fort Walton Beach, FL  May 11-12.  A total of 21 boats over all competed in the event. PHRF, Viper 640, J22, and Catalina 22.  Windsranged from 10-14 knots with some fun puffs here and there to get all the Vipers up on a plane.

Vipers shared a start with 4 J22s making the starts close and competitive.  5 Windward-Leewards (twice around) were sailed over the event.  Some close racing and very close finishes were seen.  Viper speeds of 14 knots and 17 knots were reported throughout the weekend.

Everyone seemed to have a good time, take home a t-shirt, eat some BBQ, and have a "bushwacker" or two.

Results are as follows:
1) Ice Melted: Craig Wilusz, Deborah Wilusz, Scott Mitchell
2) Scratch:     Jay Harrell, Salena Harrell, and special guest star: Zett Quinn
3) Snake Spit: Kevin Blank, Becky Black, and special guest star on Sunday: Dan 'the Man

Youngest Participant Trophy was handed to Salena Harrell (9 years of age) by Pirate Captain Billy Bowlegs himself.

Farthest Travelled Award (a "handle" of Mount Gay Rum) was awarded to Team Scratch .

Scores here: http://fwyc.org/Regattas2011/Bowlegs/2011%20Bowlegs%20Results.htm

Pics here: http://myfwyc.org/G3_2011/index.php/Bowlegs-Regatta
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:29:33 PM by Jay Harrell »
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jay Harrell

• Extremely Active
    • OSYC
Re: 2011 Bowlegs Regatta Report
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
I'll repeat what I posted in the other thread,

If you haven't sailed Vipers at Fort Walton beach, you're missing one of the best venues ever.  It was sunny, warm and windy.  The seabreeze turned on like clockwork each day shortly before race time.  We left the dock for a short and fast two-sail reach out to the huge, wide open, unobstructed, no traffic, racing area where we knocked out 2 lap races in a rock steady planning wind, then another two-sail reach back to the club for beer and bbq. 

I can't imagine a better boat for that bay than the Viper - folks, it really was that much fun.  If you haven't been to Fort Walton, you should.  And if you haven't sailed a Viper there, get one!

Our thanks to Craig and Debra for letting us crash at their house and to Gulf Pool Service for sponsoring the Viper trophies.  I really felt guilty taking home the "longest drive" trophy when I only drive 6 hours each way, but that didn't last long after we opened up the bottle last night.  Sorry we bugged out without seeing you one last time - Zett needed to work on Monday so off we went.  But thanks again, and any time you need a second Viper on the bay, you know where to find us.

David Furna

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »
Hope I can get down there next year....PHRF sucks in NC, but at least it's racing. Glad you guys had a good Regatta.

Dave

Craig Wilusz

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
  • Don't Piss Deborah Off........please
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Thanks Dave. 
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Oliver

• Active
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »
Any dates for 2012 yet?  I have to select vacation time a year in advance, and it's coming up soon for next year.  Sounds like a great place to get lost for a weekend. . .

David
Touch of Grey #91

Jay Harrell

• Extremely Active
    • OSYC
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:57:01 AM »
Any dates for 2012 yet?  I have to select vacation time a year in advance, and it's coming up soon for next year.  Sounds like a great place to get lost for a weekend. . .

David
Touch of Grey #91

If it's held the last weekend of the Bowlegs Festival, then it will be June 9 and 10, 2012.