wanted your tin rig

Started by Duncan MacKenzie, May 31, 2011, 11:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on June 04, 2011, 09:47:52 AM
So what I'm hearing is that there may be a lot of demand for tin rigs now that there are a bunch of i550s coming around, and you want a virtually free one despite there being limited supply and limited means of delivery.  Am I missing something?

I think Duncan is just complaining about the cost of gas and the distance involved.  Certainly can't blame him for that.  It's 490 miles from his house to mine - 980 miles round trip is $200 to $300 of gasoline.  He's not asking for a free mast, just hoping for some free transportation if someone happens to be going his way.  After all, if you're going his way, the marginal cost of carrying a mast is pretty small.

Matt Sole

What would be a fair price for a used tin rig? $1000? New one must be over $3000 may be $3500?

I would at least want to be able to buy a new sail for parting with the rig.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Ben Steinberg

It's not worth anything hanging in the garage.  It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Matt Sole

Maybe I am the stubborn type but I would rather see it hang in the garage than let some one get it for a song, especially if I had just paid four grand for a new rig. There are a ton of i550's being built, so I would hang on until someone is willing to pay the right price.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Tim Carter

I am not sure what the right price is, probably 1k at most for a bare used tube.  But I do think there is some value in helping someone achieve his dreams of sailing a boat they built themselves..  just sayin...
Lt Coast Gov

Matt Sole

Well I assume you would sell the rig with its spreaders, shrouds and turn buckles.

I will give someone a lot of time to achieve the dream but they still have to cough up some cash to get parts off me. A grand is pretty dam cheap for a working rig.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Tim Carter

I am sure all they could use is the tube, different rigging geometry and spreader length.  I would use new wire, possibly salvage the turnbuckles.
Lt Coast Gov