wanted your tin rig

Started by Duncan MacKenzie, May 31, 2011, 11:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan MacKenzie

I need your aluminum rig for my I-550 #172, I am located on the east coast of Florida, about ten minutes from I-95 close to Cocoa Beach. At present there are two masts I know of for sale, one in Georgia, and one in Boston, if anyone is traveling this way and would like to make some gas money transporting these rigs please post or email me at [email protected]

Olaf Bleck

I think Jeff Douglas has one, #42 or so.  Upstate New York.

Mine's sold.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jay Harrell

And mine in Atlanta is the other one.  If anyone can help get it to Duncan, let us know.

Darren Gilbert

I have one for sale, but it's near Detroit Michigan if you know of anyone else with an I550 looking for a rig.  Sails can go with it too!

BTW, what's the going rate for a used tin rig right now?
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Jay Harrell

The median price seems to be about $500.  Sails would be an added cost or an added bonus, depending.  I have to think that full size Viper sails on a full size Viper mast on a boat a meter shorter would be a bit much, but then again, I'm not a boat designer either...

Dave Nickerson

And I have one in eastern Connecticut, if you hear of any NE I-550 sailors looking for rig.  Have nice main and a so-so jib that could go with it...
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Matt Sole

Quote from: Jay Harrell on June 01, 2011, 10:05:08 AM
The median price seems to be about $500.  Sails would be an added cost or an added bonus, depending.  I have to think that full size Viper sails on a full size Viper mast on a boat a meter shorter would be a bit much, but then again, I'm not a boat designer either...

Its easier to shorten a rig than lengthen it. A robust performance orientated rig is far more important than the exact length of it.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Duncan MacKenzie

Wow, what great response , something good has got to come from this.  Some background on my 550. I finished it about a year ago and launched it with a old tapered Kenyon H spar. The sails, stock Melges 20 cast offs, the chute full sized, jib about 6" cut from the head, and about 10" cut from the main's head. We beat on this homemade double spreader rig with tons of roll outs, pin downs, wipeouts etc and really thought it was bulletproof. I bought a cover, some rigging and a couple of Viper sails from Ben, and the cover fits perfectly!! keel  sleeve and all. But, thinking my mast was impervious I sold the sails and rigging to a 550 guy in South Carolina who had purchased a viper mast, boy was I wrong. Tight reaching with the chute up we folded a spreader bracket, and over the rig went.
I'd really like to get my hands on a viper mainsail and rig, set this up in my boat, cut my chute down for the fractional spin hoist, and enjoy a bullet proof single spreader rig and just concentrate on sailing. The boat can easily take the sail area, its got a lot of wetted area, and beam to carry sailpower. Several in the class have spung for carbon rigs, but this is not my boat, as there rigs cost more than my entire investment in my 550. This boat is in its infancy, and hasent been tested and perfected like the Viper 640 was. If I can get your rig I will be sailing it and posting  photos on the 550 site

Darren Gilbert

Duncan,

Thanks for all the great information.  It's too bad we weren't closer or we could possibly cut a deal on the tin rig.

Do you know if there's any i550's in the Ontario/Michigan/Ohio area?  I would really like to find a home for this rig so it doesn't sit in my garage any longer.

Cheers!
Darren
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Matt Sole

uship.com is a great way to send stuff like this around the country. Some one heading south could easily add this to their load for no expense.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Duncan MacKenzie

They have sold well over 300 plan sets of the I 550 at least half in the US. There are dozens being built in garages all over, and lots of these guys might just be cheap and thrifty like me. Gas being four bucks a gallon it seems a waste to spend twice plus what you guys want for a rig in fuel just to get it.

Jays rig is the closest - would anyone be willing to part just with a mainsail?   

Greg Jackson

Anybody want one in So Cal?

I can bring my old rig out with me at the end of the month when we are at Long Beach Race Week...

Greg
USA 46
heroin

Tim Carter

bring it out Greg...  I can rig double traps on it for s**ts & giggles...

there are about 6 i550 builds in the area also..
Lt Coast Gov

Olaf Bleck

I got a AL rig in the Bay Area, in great condition.  Off of #24.

Make offer.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Peter Beardsley

So what I'm hearing is that there may be a lot of demand for tin rigs now that there are a bunch of i550s coming around, and you want a virtually free one despite there being limited supply and limited means of delivery.  Am I missing something?
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"