Viper 640 PHRF

Started by Jason Hyerstay, April 19, 2011, 07:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Hyerstay

At our regatta committee meeting this spring, I spoke to our local PHRF chairman about our Viper rating. I just sent him a list I compiled of Melges 24 vs Viper 640 PHRF ratings. Please let me know if you have any other areas to add to this list. I think we should make sure to update the Viper 640 rating page to make it a resource for PHRF appeals.

Thanks,

jason

M24 - V640

099 - 102 - Lake Champlain
094 - 106 - Boulder YC (Illinois)
___ - 111 - Lake George
084 - 111 - SoCal
099 - 105 - Narraganset Bay
___ - 111 - Arizona
090 - 108 - Lake Ontario
099 - 108 - Long Island Sound
094 - 106 - Lake Carlyle
093 - 105 - Florida
093 - 102 - Gulf (just one boat)
084 - 096 - NoCal (all ratings seem lower there)
087 - 099 - Lake Lanier
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Olaf Bleck

PHRF New England is "99U" (unofficial).

They won't give us an official rating since the local curmudgeonry doesn't take kindly to sport boats.

Need a motor too (not a big deal), and they sometimes put a 24' minimum on boats if they really don't want vipers there.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Justin Scott

Jason,

If you could add number of boats and what experience level the book says (A B C) that would be really useful to update our web page.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dave Nickerson

Eastern Connecticut Sailing Association

Melges 24: 90

Viper: 93 (no outboard), 99 (with outboard)

Ouch
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Eric Vigrass

96 in Lake Huron no outboard

Craig Wilusz

GYA, Gulf Yachiting Association, about 30 YCs from Panama City to LA-TX border.  One regional PHRF fleet.   Rating got bumped up from 96 to 102 this year.

A) No Motor
B) No hiking, not permited to "hike Out" in GYA PHRF.  This is for all GYA PHRF boats regardless of model.  If the boat has lifelies you can hang over the side "photohike" style but only when two lifelines are in place.

Attatched is comparison chart I made for local PHF committee, adjusted this year when new PHRF number for Viper came out.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Furna

I'm still the winner or uh loser I guess, with a 90P in NC, no motor, hiking allowed.

We don't have any M24s, but they rate 90 also.

Robert Bernard

Wow. PHRF is lame. I've got a 96, no motor, hiking allowed in Melbourne, FL. While 3 hours away in Miami, with essentially the same wind and weather, they get a 103. Stupid.
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Justin Scott

Quote from: David Furna on April 20, 2011, 07:39:26 AM
I'm still the winner or uh loser I guess, with a 90P in NC, no motor, hiking allowed.

We don't have any M24s, but they rate 90 also.

That is absurd.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jason Hyerstay

Quote from: Justin Scott on April 19, 2011, 09:21:33 PM
Jason,

If you could add number of boats and what experience level the book says (A B C) that would be really useful to update our web page.

I'll have to see if I can get that information. What I posted was just data I compiled from our class site and searching the web.

Cheers,

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Luke Porter

I submitted for a new rating locally for a new boat. Currently it's Melges 96, Viper 99. I sent the committee the various bits of info from the Viper site hoping for a 102 (provisional). They met yesterday so hopefully I'll hear something soon and when I do I'll let everyone know. I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia so I'm under PHRF-NS.

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

Brad Robbins

In Galveston Bay (Houston Tx) Vipers rate 96 without motors.

Michael Gravitt

My PHRF is 96 on the Chesapeake- no allowance for motor. I have a J29 eating my lunch and his PHRF is 111.

Olaf Bleck

Is anyone familiar with how these PHRF ratings are generated?  I mean really...!  Anywhere between 90 and 115 or so?  WTF. 
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on May 16, 2011, 11:41:15 AM
Is anyone familiar with how these PHRF ratings are generated?

Yep - a bunch of people (aka committee) with no special skills sit in a room and make shit up.  The stated goal is fair and fun racing.  The actual goal is whatever politically correct outcome is needed on their local race course.  The "right" people and the "right" boats must win.  The "wrong" people and the "wrong" boats must lose.   Perception matters much more than facts.  (For example, Vipers get a heavier keel, that must be faster so nick them 6 seconds.  Why 6?  Because that's the way it's always been done. )

Ok, ok, I'm ranting.  I actually believe that most PHRF committees have good hearts and are trying to do the right thing, but it's an impossible situation.  At it's heart it's trying to solve a math problem using politics - a good recipe for failure.

If your local PHRF rating groups you in courses and starts with boats that are fun to sail with, then consider it a success and try not to worry about the scores.  On the other hand, if you find yourself on the wrong side a fleet split sailing with boats that make your life miserable, then go fight for those 6 or 12 or whatever that will put you some place fun.