Author Topic: Marblehead 2011 Season  (Read 1582 times)

Olaf Bleck

• Extremely Active
Marblehead 2011 Season
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:46:04 AM »
Marblehead fleet,

A note from the new Marblehead fleet captain (that's me):

Welcome at long length the 2011 season!

New business:

Posted elsewhere, MRA registration details:  http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?topic=891.0  Be sure to get that in by early May to get a discount. Includes free reg to Marblehead Race Week too.

Additionally, be sure to get your registration in for Parker's boat yard.  It's only $450/$550 this year due to a shortened lease period.  I don't know the ramifications of that yet, i.e. there may be some optional extra fees for the early and late part of the season.  If you need that reg. info, email me at obleck at gmail.  Parker's is more or less the storage and launching base for the Marblehead fleet, though a few boats are peppered around at the various YC's.  There is a hoist and parking, and the fleet usually congregates there after for post-race merriment.  I'll see if I can organize that part a bit.

Additionally on my agenda is to go over the regatta options for the year with Dan and others to decide what to focus on. There is clearly a lot going on this year, with 10+ boats in Newport now, and we counted approximately 45 boats (some in production) between Long Island Sound and Boston (!).  That means a lot of well attended regattas!  

I'm also looking at having us as a fleet enter one or two of the Boston-based PHRF pursuit races, such as Around the Islands, Great Chase, Flip Flop, Make-a-Wish, etc.  These are usually on Sundays, so we could sail MRA on Sat and sail down after  to say Winthrop and put in there for an evening, race Sunday and head back to Marblehead.  Buzzard's Bay Regatta is also on the radar, as I think the Newport fleet plans to participate.  I'm not sure if we'll have a class start or race PHRF.  I did BBR last year and it was an absolute blast.

Lastly, I am compiling an up-to-date email list of all the Marblehead skippers, and I'll also try to put a crew list or general discussion list together.

Feel free to call or email with any questions or comments, or post here too.

More as the season approaches!
-Olaf
617-513-9841
obleck at gmail.com
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Dan Tucker

• Administrator
  • Extremely Active
    • Maureen's Paralympic News
Re: Marblehead 2011 Season
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:33 AM »
Thank you Olaf for stepping up and agreeing to be drafted as the the Marblehead fleet captain/organizer/sparkplug/cheerleader!

I'm looking forward to some good fleet racing this summer. We're welcoming at least 2 new owners this season, Brian Barmer and Todd Brown. We're also hoping to see #37 re-appear from time to time.

Let's also continue the effort to find and take sailing people who may be interested in joining our fleet. It's up to all of us to grow our own fleet, let's make sure we continue to do that again this season, so we can welcome more new friends!
Race it like you stole it.

Bob Shelton

• Registered
Re: Marblehead 2011 Season
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
Well, the topic's been pretty quiet, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to mention that I'm available to crew this summer (as you may have noticed in the Crew Wanted/Available section).  I have racing experience on smaller dinghy's Comets, Lightnings, 420s, but would really like to get some Viper experience!  Saturdays not a problem, nor are weekday eves after work.

Cheers,
Bob Shelton (b_shelton@comcast.net)