Wanted: good used spinnaker (heavy air)

Started by Sheldon Schroeder, March 20, 2011, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon Schroeder

I am looking for a used spinnaker in good condition to use as a practice sail.  I believe there are older cuts out there that are no longer considered ideal for regatta's.  I believe this might be what I am looking for.  Obviously this boat is hard on spinnaker's so I don't suspect there are many good used ones out there that folks are willing to part with for a reasonable price, but it never hurts to ask.   

I sail in a breezey area and am fairly new to the boat.  I need lots of practice and will be doing most of it in 15-20kt breeze and chop. 

Is there such a thing as a heavy air spinnaker cut for the viper?  I just cannot afford to shred my new and only spinnaker for practice.

Is there a spinnaker from another common assymetric boat that might be suitable for practice in heavy air?

Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks!   

Olaf Bleck

I have an original in decent condition that I'd be willing to part with for the right price.  Not sure what that is though.  The upside of these is they're supposedly pretty good in light air because they're bigger, i.e. more of a soak.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Sheldon Schroeder

I was under the impression the original kites were smaller?  One that came with my boat #33, that I assumed was original, was much smaller, maybe it was not even for the boat.  It had some dry rot and came apart.  I am looking for something that will stand up to some rookie practice in 15 - 20 kt. conditions.

I am hoping I could find something for $400 or less.  Are the tapes and seems good?

Sheldon 

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Sheldon Schroeder on March 24, 2011, 09:12:01 AM

I was under the impression the original kites were smaller?  One that came with my boat #33, that I assumed was original, was much smaller, maybe it was not even for the boat.  It had some dry rot and came apart.  I am looking for something that will stand up to some rookie practice in 15 - 20 kt. conditions.

I am hoping I could find something for $400 or less.  Are the tapes and seems good?

Sheldon 

Hi Sheldon,

I've been told mine's bigger and a little deeper in shape, which apparently makes it more of a soaker rather then hot.  Dunno exactly. It's in good shape in general, though a few small taped holes.  I've sailed it in heavy air though, so it's certainly field tested.

Not sure I'd quite let it go for $400. Have to think about it.  Give me a call if you like, 617-513-9841

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)