Lower Shroud Length

Started by Brian Barmmer, March 16, 2011, 04:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Barmmer

Had a question for the fleet.  What should the length of the lower shroud be?
I put the rig up for the first time on #92 this weekend and the lower shroud was about 4 inches too short to reach the chain plate.  This was with the uppers to 30 on the Loos and the forestay under tension. Both sides were nearly identical in length..so if I did it wrong, i did it wrong twice and I did have the help of someone who set up the Viper before.  The box of parts included had a pin shroud adjuster though the lower shroud was also fitted with a turnbuckle and didn't appear to use both at the same time.

Thoughts or history?

Thanks
Brian
RIP Viper #92 - My Next One Will Be Safety Orange
C9H13NO3

Olaf Bleck

Is the mast set up for the old chainplate locations?  i.e. an aluminum mast off an old boat or such? Or maybe just the lower shrouds are from an old mast? The chainplates are closer to the mast for the old ones, which would explain why they're short.  Otherwise, beats me...!  Either way, it seems you need a new set.  They should be very lose in general, with 3-4 inches of lateral play.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Matt Sole

Looks like the lowers are not for your boat. Not sure what you would be doing with shrouds from an old ally mast on such a new boat but it does look like you are screwed.
As for slackness an easy way to measure is to pinch the lower to the upper shroud and run the pair up the upper shroud. Measure the point at which the lowers pull tight. That should be over a foot. Lowers tension is very difficult to describe to a new to Vipers sailor.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Darren Gilbert

Kelly Bechard had some issues with her shrouds.  Possibly contact her to see what her solution was.
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Brian Barmmer

Thanks for the help. 
The boat was last used a HPDO - maybe someone else who sailed there will find their shroud 4" too long this season.
Looks like i need to order a new set - does anyone have a measurement for the lower shrouds with a carbon mast?
C9H13NO3

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Brian Barmmer on March 17, 2011, 08:31:54 AM
does anyone have a measurement for the lower shrouds with a carbon mast?

Your experience suggests that there may not be one correct measurement - you need to get some custom built and measured off the ones you have perhaps.

When my new mast came in 2008, the shrouds were too short by about this same amount - all four.  We never did figure out exactly why, just replaced them with ones that fit.

Darren Gilbert

Jay, did you get your money back for the shrouds that were too short?
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Darren Gilbert on March 17, 2011, 08:50:25 AM
Jay, did you get your money back for the shrouds that were too short?

Rondar paid for the replacements directly.

David Oliver

I just replaced my lowers on #91, ordered 12' - 8" and with tension on the uppers they fit with hardly any thread showing.  I expect they will stretch a bit, but wish I had gone a half-inch longer. 

Michael Stovall

Does that length include turnbuckles?

Thanks in advance.

Drew Harper

The lower shroud adjusters changed mid-season last year. The old supplier went belly up in England....new polates were shorter hence the adjustment issue.

Was a simple miscue between vendors. If you have lower shroud size issues, let me or Zim know and we'll get you the right set.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Brian Barmmer on March 16, 2011, 04:36:34 PM
Had a question for the fleet.  What should the length of the lower shroud be?
I put the rig up for the first time on #92 this weekend and the lower shroud was about 4 inches too short to reach the chain plate.  This was with the uppers to 30 on the Loos and the forestay under tension. Both sides were nearly identical in length..so if I did it wrong, i did it wrong twice and I did have the help of someone who set up the Viper before.  The box of parts included had a pin shroud adjuster though the lower shroud was also fitted with a turnbuckle and didn't appear to use both at the same time.

Thoughts or history?

Thanks
Brian

Based on the picture, those are not #92s original lowers. 92 did not have turnbuckles on the lowers. They had adjusters . Seem to be in the picture attached to the chain plate. I remember Jim and Kay sailing this boat two up with super loose lowers at the atlantic Coasts.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

David Oliver

Sorry for the late reply, I don't get out much.
12' - 8" is actually correct for my rig - more thread shows when you get the T-ball set correctly. . .
That is bearing surface of the pin to bearing surface of the T-ball, from APS, and it took about two weeks or so. I measured the old shroud adjuster set-up (as their web site instructs) and guessed a bit at how much slack there really was, so shortened the length a bit.  I was close enough, it seems.  That ought to work for you - the hard part is writing the number down and punching "submit" on the order form!
I don't know enough to say that the boat sails better with these, but it sure looks more like a sailboat and less like a vertical laundry line flapping in the breeze.

Brian Barmmer

Thanks for all the info. 
I spoke to Zim about this and he is going to help secure the correct set for this boat.
C9H13NO3