Shrimp Grits & Vipers - Charleston Race Week -April 17-20

Started by Justin Scott, January 14, 2008, 10:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Yeah, yeah, yeah.......its on the website home page......but we need a thread started to keep a running update.

This will be a blast. Please sign up soon. You get the discount entry fee if you sign up before end of January. You get free docking if you are one of first 50 entrants. But most important of all we get momentum.

Five of us committed ahead of time to the race organizers so that we could get an OD start.
Justin Scott - yup, me.
David Guggenheim -Savannah YC
Alex Bolan & the The Barracudas -You gotta hand it to these kids....if there are Vipers....they are there!
Kay Van Valkenburgh -aka The Class Martini maker, So there will be class legal martinis .
Eric Gotwalt - Savannah

This will be a great rendez vous regatta for fleets from the South East and North East to get together. We are confident we will get to double figures. Please join us!

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

Erik Eaves (#17V) just called from Lake Carlyle to say that he is "in". That's six boats. Keep em coming!
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

David Eave from Lake Norman writes:-

"I have also signed up for Charleston.

Lake Norman Yacht Club will be finalizing their 2008 schedule within the next 2 weeks. Right now the Lake Norman event is tentatively set for the weekend of March 8th and 9th. They are also going to be confirming the storage capacity for the Viper fleet, between regattas. I feel confident that we can find storage for the NE boats between events, and can help to even get a few of the boats from Lake Norman to Charleston, prior to the Charleston race week, if we can arrange for early storage at Charleston."

That's seven boats. Keep 'em coming!

Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Alan Block (Press Officer from CRW) writes:-

"Please check out the latest Press Release at www.charlestonraceweek.com, and you'll see that we've arranged for FREE storage at a secure yard for ALL REGISTERED BOATS from the end of Key West (Jan 26th) to CRW (April 18). Whenever you want to bring 'em over, do it.
There is a short contract on the website that you'll need to fill out after registering for the event, then you just have to bring the boat over to the storage lot during regular weekday business hours.
Call me if you need any help.
Regards

EVENT PRESS OFFICER:
Alan Block
(248) 563-0657
[email protected]"
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Eight Vipers Registered for CRW....but still no sign of Kay.

But he has emailed me a picture of the house he wants to rent for Viper Central at CRW. It has 11 bedrooms, 8 full bathrooms, a pool , a billiard room and its on the beach. He's costed it out- "if we each take a room- its no more than a hotel"  Can you imagine? the Viper Mansion! We could invite Heff'.   
Viper - Mambo Kings

sailingent

You guys will like Charleston. I was down there this weekend. The house idea sounds great. I hope to be there, with or without a boat.

Justin Scott

Quote from: sailingent on January 16, 2008, 09:49:12 AM
You guys will like Charleston. I was down there this weekend. The house idea sounds great. I hope to be there, with or without a boat.

All these nom de plumes.......I think I'm trying to get you a boat right? If I fail, we will find you a crew spot.

The Viper house idea originated from St Pete last year when Karen organized a rental for 3 teams with a charming house on a canal near the club. It quickly became "Viper Central". The Duntons showed up towing Water Mocassin behind a massive motor home. They spent the first night (before the regatta) parked in front of Viper Central. Then they set up in the parking lot right by the the club, a few steps from our boat slips. This became "Viper Mobile". The combination of Viper Mobile having a ready supply of Mount Gay and Moonshine when we stepped ashore and the Viperettes made us the envy of the other classes.

The poor unfortunate U20 sailors had to stay outside while we enjoyed the priviledges of being inside the Viper mobile. This made such an impression on one of them (Harvey B), that this year he has sucumbed and ordered a Viper. Harvey will be sailing on Slither at St Pete.

Tim Dunton sadly will not be at St Pete this year because he has a severe case of lead poisoning. But we are optimistic that he will make a guest appearance to rousing applause (or not depending on whether he camps on me upwind again) at Charleston Race Week.     
Viper - Mambo Kings

sailingent

Yes Justin, I received a copy of your email. Thanks for looking!!

Justin Scott

Viper - Mambo Kings

lborn

We would definitly be intrested in joining in on the house. Please keep us posted.

sailingent

I was wondering if a charter could be arranged for CRW. I would be interested!!!!

Justin Scott

Eleven boats registered.

Keep 'em coming.

Viper - Mambo Kings