Wanted: used sails

Started by Peter Beardsley, January 31, 2011, 08:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

Just bought a brand new boat to be delivered in spring 2011, debating whether to go with two brand new sets or one new, one used.  If anyone has a set of used sails that they want to sell, please send me an email with specs (age of sails, approximate number of days of use, sailmaker, and asking price).  Thanks.

PB
[email protected]
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Dave Nickerson

I think Peter understands the rule.  We talked about it briefly in person after the AGM.

In short, the new rule didn't change what happens in the first year of ownership.  In addition to on set of new sails, you can aquire a second set of either: A) used sails or B) new sails

If you acquire 1 new set and 1 used set in year 1, you can acquire a set of new sails in year 2
If you acquire 2 sets of new sails in the first year, you skip a year and can buy new sail in year 3.  (As a aside, this is route we choose - seemed to work well).

The intent is to enable owners new to the class to have that second set of sails (if budget allows) so they can choose what to use when.  It somewhat levels the playing field with exsiting owners who may have more than one set of sails (acquired one set per year) in their inventories.  The new rule cleaned up a few grey areas, but the basic concepts on the first year of ownership are exactly the same as in the past. 
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Peter Beardsley

Thanks gang.  I understand the rule.  I just want to know who has some used sails that they might want to sell, how "used" they are, and how much they'd want for them.  That way, we can analyze from there.  I'm leaning toward getting a used set, but if the only used sets are falling apart or are at a premium because everyone has already bought everyone else's used sets, then I'll have to re-evaluate options.  No far, no one has sent me any messages saying "sure, here's an extra old beater set of Hydes from 2006 with 80 days of use on that I want $1000 for".
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on February 02, 2011, 03:25:43 PM

No far, no one has sent me any messages saying "sure, here's an extra old beater set of Hydes from 2006 with 80 days of use on that I want $1000 for".

Hehe! 

I have a "vintage" set available, the originals delivered with #56 I think, Ulman's.  Supposedly they won a lot of beer can races in central Florida.  Nah, can't sell those...!

I wonder if there's a recycling program for jib blocks.

(Actually, the original kite's in good shape, the guy that owned her for the past while never sailed the kite and the old ones are apparently great for light air.  Supposedly they're cut a bit bigger.)

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jay Harrell

Ok, this really isn't the right place for a rules discussion. I've deleted my post, and David and Lee can delete theirs as well.  Clearly, we got off track there.

Peter Beardsley

Still looking for used sails for the Larchmont fleet.  I know you guys have 'em.  If you own more than 2 sets of sails, why not sell sets #3, 4, etc. and use the cash to get a new kite, new top cover, etc.? 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on March 24, 2011, 02:51:55 PM

Still looking for used sails for the Larchmont fleet.  I know you guys have 'em.  If you own more than 2 sets of sails, why not sell sets #3, 4, etc. and use the cash to get a new kite, new top cover, etc.? 

What sort?  I have a main an aluminum rig, though I'm told it'll be fine on the carbon rig for tooling around at least.  Also a couple of jibs, kind of blown out, but again fine for tooling around.  obleck at gmail
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Peter Beardsley

All of those options are fine.  We don't care how blown out they are -- I'm making a list of what's out there -- if anyone has stuff but doesn't want to post it here, just send me an email at [email protected] with what you're selling, how old it is, who made the sails, and how much you want for 'em.  Olaf: email coming your way. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Terry Phillips

FYI

With a little bit of recutting, J22 sails will (should) fit on a Viper.
Main:
J22 P = 26.1 , Viper P= 25.6 
Cut 6 to 8 inches off of the top, install new headboard and square top it with a batten.
J22 E=9 , Viper E=10. It's one foot short, so it fits.
To work best with the carbon mast it may be desirable to add some material to the luff.
Not sure about the bolt rope diameter.

J22 I=24.8, Viper I=21.7.
Take about 4 feet off of the luff length. Shorten the foot remnant to 12" by 8.2 feet and re-attach.
J22 J=8.8, Viper J=8.2

If this works, let us all know.

Also, the sails from a Lightning are a bit small but would fit.