Two sail reaching boat speeds

Started by Charlie Visser, January 26, 2011, 05:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Visser

I have seen the youtube video of Viper 2-sail reaching at 15 kts in 22-28 TWS. Anyone have fast two sail GPS numbers?
IceBear

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Charlie Visser on January 26, 2011, 05:18:08 PM

I have seen the youtube video of Viper 2-sail reaching at 15 kts in 22-28 TWS. Anyone have fast two sail GPS numbers?

Link?
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Craig Wilusz

We hit 12.4 with main and jib once on #100 for a moment (SpeedPuck)
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Tim Carter

we hit 16+ this Aug in San Fran under white sails...  it was somewhere north of 30 @ the time  =)
Lt Coast Gov

Drew Harper

We hit 15.2 that day...on the V-tek.

Shortly after this video was taken we bit it hard in a 30 knot ripper...I think I have that footage though it's not the best marketing we have out there LOL.

We put the kite up in the slot and couldn't keep the damn rudder in the water...was a consistent 25+ and we were two up that day. Boat kept leaping off the next wave as we surfed down the preceding one. This was perhaps our 5th time sailing the boat in big breeze. Could do so easier these days.

We ended up sailing in the lee of Angel Island to get this footage. Was much more manageable.

We hit 16.8 the day that Timbo is talking about. Probably really 15.5 though as we had an ebb pushing us.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Justin Scott

Interesting little vid.

Looks like you were having fun.
Lots of pre-bend wound on the uppers.
No spinnaker means you could ease off main and vang a lot more than I would with a chute up.
Which makes sense because without chute you are sailing higher. 

Bullet proof combination in the big breeze.
But I expect 2 sail gybing in mega breeze gets a bit airy. Have to heave that boom across pretty promptly and keep it flat to avoid putting on the water brake and spinning out.   
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

Quote from: Justin Scott on February 18, 2011, 12:14:31 PM
Interesting little vid.

Looks like you were having fun.
Lots of pre-bend wound on the uppers.
No spinnaker means you could ease off main and vang a lot more than I would with a chute up.
Which makes sense because without chute you are sailing higher. 

Bullet proof combination in the big breeze.
But I expect 2 sail gybing in mega breeze gets a bit airy. Have to heave that boom across pretty promptly and keep it flat to avoid putting on the water brake and spinning out.   

Oh we crashed the living crap out of it several times that day. Boat is so much easier to gybe with the kite up...especially in nuke.

Justin Scott

I've sometimes thought we should specify dimensions for "Nuke" kite.
Small enough for going out to play in the super-gnarly.......and double up as a trainer kite for juniors etc.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

That and a smaller jib would make it much more fun in the big breeze.