SE Regatta: June 11-12, 2011, Fort Walton Bch, FL

Started by Craig Wilusz, January 26, 2011, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Wilusz

All, The Fleet Captain at Fort Walton Yacht Club has (again) approved a Viper 640 Class at the 2011 Billy Bowlegs Regatta.  The event is scheduled for June 11-12, 2011.  The NOR is not up as of yet.  6 boats will get their own start, W/Ls.

The event typically brings in J22's and Thistles.  It is during the pirate festival in the area.  Typical seabreeze coming off the Gulf of Mexico into Choctawhatchee Bay is around 10-15 knots out of the south-southwest.  Slight chop wind breeze is up.  Grass area to park on.  Hoist so you do not have to put trailer in water. Showers, RV and tent camping permitted on site. Some hotels no more than 10-15 minutes from regatta site.  The bar serves some really good BushWackers (the real ones with ice cream). Event historically has provided a keg, food, t-shirts, etc, but can't speak of that until NOR comes out) Good race committee work.  D and I will promote event, and provide trophies for class (1-3), Farthest Travelled, Goof Award.  Great nite life in Destin, FL if you wnat to go out and party, or D and I may consider a Viper party at our place (13 houses up from club).

Hope this generates interest.

Craig and Deborah
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jay Harrell

FWB in June - Yes, we're definitely interested!  I'll start working on the family schedule tonight...

Jeff Jones

Better watch out Craig, your going to end up with a pile of vipers down there.  That means no more picking on 4KSB wavelengths and such ;-)

Craig Wilusz

D and I been talking about family and youth at regattas.  We will also provide a family team trophy and youngest sailor trophy.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on January 26, 2011, 09:27:51 AM
D and I been talking about family and youth at regattas.  We will also provide a family team trophy and youngest sailor trophy.

My daughter started sailing on the Viper at 5 years old - she's 9 now and starting to really get into it.  She'll be at Lake Eustis, and FWB too.  Right now she's planning on sailing NAs too, because she wants to sail in a different country.

Here she is is tending jib at 5 years old....

David Oliver

Sounds terrific.  I will try for a trade at work, but summers might be hard.  Barring that, it means arrive late and very limited partying before the drive back home.  Still worth doing, just not as much fun!  Maybe I can borrow somebody's premature baby and stuff him/her in one of the sheet bags for the youngest trophy.  They look a lot like cabbage patch kids. . .

Craig Wilusz

Youngest trophy must be human and alive and under 18
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Craig Wilusz

Want to remind everyone of the Bowlegs Regatta June 11-12, 2011.  NOR should be out within the next week or so. Check out the Fort Walton Yacht Club gallery to see the beautiful sailing we have down here.

www.FWYC.org
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jay Harrell

Just noticed that the Bowlegs NOR has been posted.  Time to put your name on the line - who is planning on coming down (or up as the case may be)?  Can we get Kevin over from NOLA?  Robert from Melbourne?

NOR:   http://www.fwyc.org/Regattas2011/Bowlegs/2011%20Bowlegs%20NOR.pdf

Entry Form:  http://www.fwyc.org/Regattas2011/Bowlegs/2011%20Bowlegs%20Entry.pdf

Online Registration: http://www.fwyc.org/Regattas2011/Bowlegs/Bowlegs%20Entry%20Form.htm

I'm starting to work the logistics for my family and crew now.  Hotel suggestions welcome.

David Furna

I'm thinking about it, it will be the weekend after the 3 day Black Seal Cup in Hampton VA, so may be tough.....

Brad Robbins

It is also the same weekend as the Mauri Pro Challenge Regatta in Corpus Christi which is part of the Texas Circuit.  I assume most of our boats will be in Corpus.

Your regatta sounds like a great time though and quite manageable from Houston.  Maybe next year if we can coordinate regatta schedules.

Brad

Kevin Blank

I've stayed at the Marina Bay Resort (http://www.marinabayfla.com) a few times and it's worked out well.  The prices are cheap, the rooms are basic and it's basically a straight shot to the yacht club.  I haven't stayed there in a few years, so I can't comment on what it's like now.  If you want some place a little fancier with better views, staying on the island only adds 2 or 3 minutes to the drive to the yacht club and either offers a few of the Gulf or the bay.

Craig Wilusz

There's also your basic selection of la quintas, days inns and all the budget motels. If you want to get even fancier there are lots of condo rentals but the prices will probably be premium. piratesbaycondo.com has studios that sleep for around $150. But I agree with Kevin ... the marina bay i believe is cheaper with suites that sleep 6 for around $130 and rooms for less than $100. There is always the pitch a tent option at the club for free. Hope we can get a fleet. Come on Mr. Furna ... Maria and Sarah would love Destin/Fort Walton.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jay Harrell

Marina Bay lists prices starting at $109 and going to $219 for June.  Pirates Cove appears to also be mid-100s/night too.  It looks like the Okaloosa Island places go up from there.  I don't think I can talk Sally into a tent - we're big fans of a good A/C for sleeping! :-)

David Furna

Come on Mr. Furna ... Maria and Sarah would love Destin/Fort Walton

They sure would !!

Unfortunately, it's a good 14hr drive and due to the skyrocketing price of gas, Viper 55 has suspended all out of town regatta's for 2011.....

I do look forward to coming down and racing in your area though. It's just as close to me as Rhode Island and I don't have to pay $65 in tolls to get there!