Free Storage between Miami and Charleston

Started by Jay Harrell, January 21, 2011, 10:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Harrell

If you are going to Miami or New Orleans and also planning to do Charleston Race Week, we have a deal for you - a weekend of sailing on Lake Murray, and then FREE STORAGE until Charleston Race Week.

Copied below is the NOR for Columbia Sailing Club's Tommy Whiteside Regatta on Lake Murray, South Carolina. This is being hosted by our old friend Alex Bolan and the Carolinas U20 fleets.  The dates are March 18-20th, 2011.  This is a great regatta to get your boats down to the south for some early spring sailing, with free storage available until Charleston Race Week in April. Columbia is only 1 1/2 hours away from Charleston and CSC.

NOR: http://www.columbiasailingclub.org/pages/TommyWhiteside/TW-2011-NOTICE%20OF%20RACE-2011.pdf

Online Registration is active at: https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=3461

Olaf Bleck

Jay,

Can one reasonably fly in and out of Columbia? Looks pricey with a puddle jumper.

Charlotte on the other hand is dirt cheap.

My plan:  come to this after MGRW/MRW, leave boat and truck, fly home, fly back for CRW, drive to CRW, sail, drive to some other regatta venue and repeat.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on January 22, 2011, 07:59:54 PM
Jay,

Can one reasonably fly in and out of Columbia? Looks pricey with a puddle jumper.

My plan:  come to this after MGRW/MRW, leave boat and truck, fly home, fly back for CRW, drive to CRW, sail, drive to some other regatta venue and repeat.

I have no knowledge about flying out of Columbia, except that it's not a big city.  Looks like it's a 100 mile drive to Charlotte, and there is a shuttle service available that looks like they do door-to-door (http://www.columbiacharlotteshuttle.com/)

For post-CRW sailing, remember the Savannah regatta in May.  Details are still TBD.

Justin Scott

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on January 22, 2011, 07:59:54 PM
Jay,

Another way to do this regatta with cheap air travel is:-
Come to this regatta after MRW/MGRW......after regatta haul boat and truck to CRW ( 1 1/2 hours), where we have free storage between Bacardi and CRW. Then fly direct back to CRW.
Last year a number of us left our boats at Charleston after Miami and it worked out very well. Flights out of/ in to Charleston were inexpensive.

We also have been invited to a second short 2 day regatta in Miami at end of March (Coral Reef Cup) after the Bacardi with possible mast-up storage in between. But I think it is short notice to build support, so may be next year? 

Lake Murray is very nice. Not sure that I have a hall pass for 2 weekends in a row.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee