Rigging and Velocitek Questions?

Started by Warren Richter, January 06, 2011, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren Richter

Hi Guys,

New potential viper owner here, but I am helping out some friends with some viper questions so I had two quick questions about the viper to start off.

Are most people using continuous Jib Sheets, or are they using individual ones? If continuous, what is the length that most people are using?

Second, is the new Velocitek ProStart class legal? I am asking because Velocitek does not make the SC-1 anymore, but they would like to have speed/heading at the same time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Warren

Lee Shuckerow

Hi always good to talk to a potential buyer. When we sail jackpot we use a heavier line than the minimum dimension. We have spin and jib sheets continuous.
Jib Sheet length is 34ft long. that seems long now but in a blow you need the jib to go out far enough to right the boat. we cut ours short twice and i'm not making them shorter. in lighter air i shorten one side about 4 feet so its not in the cockpit.

Spin sheets are 63 feet long I wouldnt mund them being 65ft.

correction Spin halyard/ retrieval line is 86 feet long continuous

As far as the new velocitek  there is no substantial improvement in internal components. the buttons just work now. i dont expect it be a problem passing that soon. I believe we are working on allowing it. Save your money until its a go, just in case.
Jackpot  #235

Drake Borer

Lee, are you sure about the spin halyard retrieval ine?  I just replaced mine not too long ago and 87 ft turned out to be the right length. I know this because I ended buying two separate halyards from aps.
BTW. Aps's  5mm "dingy control" line makes a really nice spin halyard

Dave Nickerson

Hi Warren - there was a pretty extensive discussion of electronics that started in mid-November. Check http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?topic=723.0

The short story is that the ProStart is not currently class legal.  Proposals were recieved by the Tech Committee (I'm on it) to approve the NovaSail and ProStart boxes, but too late to include in the current set of rule changes that the class is voting on.

If the proposed changes to the Constitution pass, there will be the opportunity to do another set of rule changes in the early spring.  I plan to pursue that as the incoming Tech Comm chair and plan to include electronics.  Let's vote and be done with it.

Many of us would like to get away from the approval of specific boxes - they come and go as the market evolves and for example end up in the SC-1 / ProStart situation.   Based on all the input recieved so far, a vote might take the form of: A) OK to use anything a box can do with flux-gate compass and GPS sensors, B) limit functions used on the course to compass, countdown timer, speed over ground and course over ground (and maybe MOB in emergencies), or C) (for the many get-back-to-basics types) compass, timer and speed over ground.  Suggest we try to end up with something robust that doesn't need to be revisited again and again.

Most folks are using continous jib sheets - our are about 36'

Spin halyard?  Suggest getting a long one and chop off a foot or two at a time until you get the right length.  There is not a standard for where the takedown patches are located on the sails and that can impact how long the spin halyards are...
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Lee Shuckerow

Quote from: Drake Borer on January 06, 2011, 09:59:45 PM
Lee, are you sure about the spin halyard retrieval ine?  I just replaced mine not too long ago and 87 ft turned out to be the right length. I know this because I ended buying two separate halyards from aps.
BTW. Aps's  5mm "dingy control" line makes a really nice spin halyard

Thanks drake i changed it and is very close to your measurement. I may have been drinking Hone Brown ale last night
Jackpot  #235

Drake Borer

No worries!  Bring a case to Mardi Gras Race Week and give the rest of us an fighting chance:)

Lee Shuckerow

Where can I get a case of gingerbeer for the dark n stormies. Somer kemp brought hose out in CORK and they were fantastic as always.
Jackpot  #235

Hays Clark

Quote from: Dave Nickerson on January 07, 2011, 09:49:45 AM
The short story is that the ProStart is not currently class legal.  Proposals were recieved by the Tech Committee (I'm on it) to approve the NovaSail and ProStart boxes, but too late to include in the current set of rule changes that the class is voting on.

Any update on if the Prostart is approved?

Tim Carter

Quote from: Hays Clark on April 20, 2012, 04:43:59 PM
Quote from: Dave Nickerson on January 07, 2011, 09:49:45 AM

Any update on if the Prostart is approved?

Yes Hayes, since mid 2011...  along with most any other self contained toy you can think of...    :)

10.8.1   Self contained electronic devices that display information which can be calculated based solely on an electronic compass, GPS sensors and internal software can used while racing.

10.8.2  Use of external sensors, transmitters (other than remote controls), wired or wireless data sources, and/or power supplies is prohibited.

10.8.3  Conventional compasses, electronic watches and timers are approved for use.
Lt Coast Gov