Spin tack distance for pole end?

Started by Craig Wilusz, October 27, 2010, 11:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Wilusz

Hello all.  Sailed our new to us Viper opnly twice.  So far the only question we have for setup is how far should the spin tack be from the end of pole at full hoist?  We are looking at some pics and the distance varies form about 4 inches to six inches.  Any ideas? 

Thank you.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Paul Zimmerman

class rules state that it must be AT the end of the pole

David Morse

In the past, I have seen a broad application of "at the end of the pole."  No puns please.

Tim Carter

Quote from: David Morse on October 27, 2010, 07:18:08 PM
In the past, I have seen a broad application of "at the end of the pole."  No puns please.

Will we see your tack & pole on Nov 20,21???   :)
Lt Coast Gov

Dave Nickerson

Paul had a mild case of "I've been around since the beginning of the Class" on this one.  Our current rules do not specify how close the tack needs to be to the pole.  It's kind of self-regulating - too far away and you can't heat up well... 
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Matt Sole

Having the tack four inches off the pole seems a bit much.  It may be great for actually sailing vmg down hill but its not going to help when you need to get a quick set at the top mark or need to come in hot at the bottom mark. I try to tie it right on the end of the pole and with a bit of stretch and what not, it will sit about two inches above the pole end. Make sure when you tie it on, you pull the pole out with the "pole out" line.  If you grab the pole and pull it out by hand, the pole will pull out a bit further and your knot will be too far out.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Jeff Jones

I dont really pay much attention to it.  I guess looking at pictures we usually have ours within 4 inches of the pole tip on average?  I think i usually try to tie it as close as i can but as Matt say's it will stretch out a bit.

So that you dont have to pull the pole out every time and measure it, we put a mark on our tack line.  Depending on who's rigging the kite and how many drinks they have had.. distance probaby ranges from 0 - 6 inches.

Hope your enjoying the new boat. 

David Morse

Tim,
I am making "making" that regatta a priority.  I will see if I'm back from Galveston by then.

Jeff Jones

David, if you find yourself stuck in Galveston during that time (Nov. 20th and 21st) please give me a shout.   The Texas viper fleet will be in Houston (Galveston Bay) that weekend for another Turkey regatta.   Like to buy you a drink and introduce you to our group.

j

David Morse

Lee Shuckerow

In technical terms if you want to sail low vmgs to a downwind mark you would have the tack out 3-6" to "rotate the kite". If it gets to planing conditions or where you want to heat up and go fast a lot having the tack tight to the pole is better. When the kite loads up the boat, the pole bends which makes the luff of the spinnaker looser, which can cause the chute to collapse and or just lose power that should be transferred to the boat I.e. Speed.

In simple terms no more than 4-6" max.
Jackpot  #235

Justin Scott

I sail with 1-3" of tack and I  smoke downwind.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Matt Sole

You smoke de' herb down wind.

I have seen some of your gybe angles.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Justin Scott

Quote from: Matt Sole on November 07, 2010, 07:26:46 PM
You smoke de' herb down wind.

I have seen some of your gybe angles.

"Smoke de Herb Down Wind"

Name of my next boat?  Done!
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Tim Carter

I thought that was strictly a Cali technique...   :)
Lt Coast Gov