"Snowbird Series": Florida, Winter/Spring 2011

Started by Olaf Bleck, October 24, 2010, 08:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Bleck

Shall we have a prize...?

Sounds like:

Feb 3-6: Charlotte Harbor
$195 (by Dec 3 with 3 social tickets)
9 Vipers last year, I'm told it was a great time at a nice resort.
Rooms, $140, 2bedroom at the resort
http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com/wordpress/

Feb 18-20: St. Petersburg NOOD
details not available yet

March 7-12: Bacardi Miami Race Week
http://www.miamisailingweek.com/

and then of course...

April 14-17: Charleston Race Week
http://www.charlestonraceweek.com/

Who's in...?!
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jay Harrell

St Pete NOOD acquired a reputation for no wind and we dropped it last year in favor of Charlotte Harbor.

Last winter I heard some mumblings about a desire to have several races in one place in order to simplify travel - any follow-up on that?

Brian Gleason

Love this idea!

The Charlotte Harbor Regatta will provide either the Viper 640 Snowbird Series Cup or $200 toward the Snowbird Series prize package, plus free storage for all Vipers looking to do the CHR/NOOD/OCR trio.

Brian Gleason
Chairman
Charlotte Harbor Regatta
[email protected]

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Jay Harrell on October 24, 2010, 09:10:54 PM
Last winter I heard some mumblings about a desire to have several races in one place in order to simplify travel - any follow-up on that?

Dan Tucker I think was championing the idea, but he said he didn't get a lot of interest and thus didn't pursue it.

I personally don't mind a bit of a circuit, being relatively new at it and not having been to these various venues (Miami/Coconut Grove aside, my hometown)

Jay Harrell

BTW, there is a multi-class OD regatta in St Pete in January that could be considered - we've been invited several times, but have never had a fleet there.

Olaf Bleck

St Pete NOOD acquired a reputation for no wind and we dropped it last year in favor of Charlotte Harbor.

Interesting.  Average wind in Feb. for Tampa over 55 years, is apparently 9.1 knots.
http://www.berner.com/sales/energy_windspeed.html

Could be bad luck I suppose.

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Jay Harrell on October 25, 2010, 07:26:32 AM
BTW, there is a multi-class OD regatta in St Pete in January that could be considered - we've been invited several times, but have never had a fleet there.

Hi Jay, what is it?  Couldn't google anything of the likes.

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on October 25, 2010, 08:44:47 AM

Interesting.  Average wind in Feb. for Tampa over 55 years, is apparently 9.1 knots.
http://www.berner.com/sales/energy_windspeed.html

Could be bad luck I suppose.

Or could be that a day of 25+ and two days of 0-5 average out to about 9.  And then be careful getting your averages from a company selling windmills - I remember the Atlanta Olympic Committee telling the world that the "average" temperature in Atlanta in August was something like 78 degrees.  Which is true if you include both night and day!

I've done St Pete NOOD three times - 2007 it was howling, and 08 and 09 it was calm or light at best.  St Pete in February basically has the wind of an inland lake - no sea breeze, and only gradient wind from storm systems.  It doesn't help that they made us race 5-8 miles out in the bay, which is an awfully long way for a boat that doesn't carry a motor when the wind dies.  In 2008 we paddled two miles back towards the dock before we found a tow.  Kinda sucked.  In 09 the Vipers had a fleet support boat, which worked well, and I would say is pretty much required for that race.

That said, it's a nice venue - affordable hotels and restaurants in walking distance, well managed logistics, assigned slips.  A bit of a crunch at the hoist on Sunday, but that's typical apparently.

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on October 25, 2010, 08:58:21 AM
Quote from: Jay Harrell on October 25, 2010, 07:26:32 AM

Hi Jay, what is it?  Couldn't google anything of the likes.

SPYC MULTI-CLASS REGATTA
Date: January 14-16, 2011
Host: SPYC
[email protected]

Here is the NOR from 2010 ->  http://www.spyc.org/club/scripts/view/view_insert.asp?pg=PR&GRP=5564&IID=31271&NS=PR&APP=106

Olaf Bleck

Doesn't look like they're doing it in that format this year.  Just Lightning's and Snipes or something.  Maybe they got tired of asking...

Craig Wilusz

Would be interested in coming down for the January St. Pete thing if we decided to organize a class. 
Want to commit to Charlolette harbor Regatta in 2011 (Flying Tiger owner might have us practice at another regtaa that wekend though prepping for FT Nationals though)
Woul dbe interested in St. Pete NOOD as well if decided to organize a class.  However it is a light air Venue.  Have done St. Pete NOOds six times, only one had wind ( I think 2007)
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Brian Gleason

If anyone is on the fence, Charlotte Harbor has free short-term storage on- and off-site, and is centrally located between St. Pete and Miami (although closer to St. Pete). The CHR2011 is part of the F18 Winter Series and has offered a battle flag/burgee for that series winner and will do likewise for the Viper 640 class. Bragging rights have to count for something or else it's just sailing from Point A to Point B, right?

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on October 25, 2010, 03:31:45 PM
SPYC MULTI-CLASS REGATTA
Date: January 14-16, 2011
Host: SPYC

Doesn't look like they're doing it in that format this year.  Just Lightning's and Snipes or something.  Maybe they got tired of asking...

Heard from Charlie Cushing (local to area) that the U20s will be doing this regatta, and the Vipers are still welcome if we wanted to make a fleet.

Craig Wilusz

NOOD and/or Charlotte Harbor.

Hello all.  We are trying to set up our schedules and are wondering which is it.  Is the Class only doing Charlotte Harbor in 2011? Or is the Class doing both NOOD and the Charlotte HArbor.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on December 05, 2010, 07:55:04 AM
NOOD and/or Charlotte Harbor.

Hello all.  We are trying to set up our schedules and are wondering which is it.  Is the Class only doing Charlotte Harbor in 2011? Or is the Class doing both NOOD and the Charlotte HArbor.

Inquiring minds want to know.
NOOD this year rather then Charlotte Harbor Regatta. Probably alternating year to year if folks are interested.

We're working on a second Miami event -Coral Reef Cup again. Mast up storage for cheap, hopefully!
Race it like you stole it.