#29 is back on the Grid!

Started by Darren Gilbert, October 11, 2010, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Gilbert

Hi Everyone,

I pleased to say that I just purchased Viper #29 from Fred in New Jersey.  She's still in her original form, so this will give me a winter project to work on over the snowy season.

She's sat in a garage for the past 7 years, only seeing the water 3 or 4 times.  Prior to that she lived in Florida and rarely was splashed.  So needless to say, the hull is in great condition.

The plan for year one is to upgrade the bulb, lines, hardware.  I'm on some what of a limited budget (saving up for a September wedding) so I'll be doing much of the work myself.  I'm sure I'll be on here quite a bit looking for tips.

Late 2011/Early 2012 will see new rags, and ultimately a new rig.  Those are the big investments!

Anyway, I'll post some pictures up ASAP so everyone can see my new toy.  For now she's living in my driveway.

Cheers!

Darren
Viper #29
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Ben Steinberg

David Furna

Looking forward to seeing you out on the water! Congratulation.

Dave

Robert Bernard

You're going to love it! These boats are a blast to sail!
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Darren Gilbert

Thanks for the congratulations.

Both the Boat and I are in London, Ontario.  It's about an hour from Sarnia.

Matt Rowlinson

Great to hear that this worked out--welcome to the fleet.  I am just 15 minutes away, so contact me if you have any questions at all.  Looking forward to seeing you on the water next year!

Steve Conger

another mid-west boat to play i love it!

43 is now in suburban detroit, i bought it from rob in marblehead.  keel mod was done as part of the deal, but like darren i need to move hardware and get the carbon stick.  have been out phrf racing and holding our own with 40 footers, awesome!  looking forward to travelling a bit in 2011!
43 zigzag

Darren Gilbert

Scuba Steve!

I heard you bought a boat.  Congratulations!

So within an hour of Sarnia there are now 5 boats?

Steve Conger

yea 5 boats, looks like we have a decent fleet starting! phyc spring series in 2011?
43 zigzag

Darren Gilbert

Spring 2011 is possible, but I'm not a member at either SYC or PHYC so I'm not sure how that would work out.

Did you sell the J24?

Steve Conger

still got the 24, trying to sell it to get a carbon rig.  im not a member either but kelly thinks we can use sarnia for a few weeks which would be huge
43 zigzag

Justin Scott

All I can say is what a wonderful engagement/ wedding shower gift. She must love you very much!
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Darren Gilbert

Here's some shots of the old gal...
Out for a car ride

Out for a car ride

A pic with the old owners

In it's old home in Florida

The Interior

The Interior

On the Trailer

Old owners taking her for a sail

That's it for now.  I'll be posting pictures of the upgrades once they start happening.  Keel is first on the list...waiting for the clam shells!

Dave Nickerson

Darren - Boat looks really great.  Like the color.  Congrats.  Quick suggestion.  That eye strap on the bow is not designed and is not strong enough to be a trailer tie down point.  Most of us go up to the bow fitting where the forestay attaches - very strong.

That little eyestrap on the bow is fine for the pole bobstay  If you damage it or get it loose, there is no access to get in there to fix it!
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Drew Harper

Nice Job Darren.

Get some bigger bunks under her. She'll love the extra cushion.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"