Different sail makers

Started by Drake Borer, October 04, 2010, 11:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Borer

I'm with Matt.  I'll bet the boys on the top boats would beat me silly regardless of the sailmakers they used.  Let's not get too bogged down with who won what races with who's sails.  I started the thread because I was thinking about getting new sails and wanted to figure out what the hell the difference was between the varioius options.  After all the above I'm not sure I know anymore except that there are multiple options.  Ah well guess it's back to band camp with my monkey! (inside joke, but it comes down to I aint so wicked fast!)

Dave Nickerson

Speaking of New England and while we are all pimping our favorite sailmakers, don't forget the guys at Evolution. 

The Evolution loft in Mystic, CT (previously UK-Halsey) has done a really nice job developing designs (John Fries) and with service.  Neal (some call him Steve) O?Connell will find a way to sail with you and help you out.  They?ve taken a little different route with arguably better materials with a longer competitive life ? we won the New England?s (Marblehead NOOD) this year with one year old sails and had some respectable other events - third at Charleston this spring, and sixth at NAs last year in Stamford.  No Cat 3s, former Olympians, or sailmakers on our boat, just some average guys still learning the boat.

They're worth a look.  I think the sails have great range and are straight forward to tune.  Steve ? I?ll tell you where to send the check.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Drew Harper

Quote from: Jeff Jones on October 06, 2010, 01:38:55 AM

Long beach race week was dominated by a boat flying doilies
Isaf was dominated in by a boat flying ullman.

'Long beach race week was dominated by a boat flying doilies'...the third boat was on a VERY old set of Hydes (#104) that have seen over 70 days in winds in excess of 20 TWS.

'Isaf was dominated in by a boat flying ullman.'  2nd boat was a new set of hydes. Results were Ullman, Hyde, Hyde, North Hyde. Third place boat was on 3 year old Hydes (he just ordered new hydes though)

I get my ass handed to me all the time by a guy on a heavy boat with an old set of Hydes. He goes the right way, is consistent and well, he's got the Emo Fitipaldi do-rag and I just can't pull off that look...I end up looking like a Hell's Angel ;-D

Fast guys are just fast...plain and simple.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Ben Steinberg

Drake,
  The Actual differences you are looking for between sails is dacron vs polyester reinforced laminates, cross cut vs true radial vs sort of radial vs string.  Spin cloths vary too from coated/impregnated to uncoated and varying qualities of cloth. 
Traditionally a cross cut sail is easily tunable across a very broad range of conditions and if you're off a little it still works well whereas a radial cut sail requires more precise tune.  I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but take this for what its worth; I'm not trying to sell you anything. 
I picked the sails I use after seeing them in action at a few regattas.  The factors that drove me were the simplicity and durability of the crosscut main and jib, the material selection, and the quality put into the construction.  Support from the design and sales team and other boats using them as well as the fact that I can go to the loft because its in my local region were a big influence. 
I certainly weighed my options based on price and in the end the us lofts were all fairly competitive with each other. 

Hope this helps some Drake but maybe the sailmakers will pipe in or you may have to ask them individually; how their sails are built, what materials they use, whats the country of origin, why they feel these are the best options and then determine whats fluff and whats worth paying for. 

Ben

Tim Carter

Actualy I was testing the very 1st iteration of the Ullmans, lost the regatta in the last race to the doylie boys.  The well used and abused Hydes were loaned to another boat with some GREAT sailors aboard, they took 3rd..

And yes that Emmo dude is always in the hunt.  Put him in a new boat with fresh rags and look out!!!

It really come down to the confidence in your tools / tuning and putting your boat in the correct position...  VERY LITTLE difference in the actual sails themselves..

my .02

Quote from: Drew Harper on October 06, 2010, 02:45:57 PM
Quote from: Jeff Jones on October 06, 2010, 01:38:55 AM

Long beach race week was dominated by a boat flying doilies

'Long beach race week was dominated by a boat flying doilies'...the second boat was Tim on a VERY old set of Hydes (#104) that have seen over 70 days in winds in excess of 20 TWS.

'Isaf was dominated in by a boat flying ullman.'  2nd boat was a new set of hydes. Results were Ullman, Hyde, Hyde, North Hyde. Third place boat was on 3 year old Hydes (he just ordered new hydes though)

I get my ass handed to me all the time by a guy on a heavy boat with an old set of Hydes. He goes the right way, is consistent and well, he's got the Emo Fitipaldi do-rag and I just can't pull off that look...I end up looking like a Hell's Angel ;-D

Fast guys are just fast...plain and simple.
Lt Coast Gov

Tim Carter

Service & support are #1....   Doyle is not out west...  Out here we have Ullman, Pattison, North 1-D which is not Ched but Chris Snow and Vinchinzo...  and another LOCAL HOT loft...  :)

Find someone that when their lips are moving you don't feel like you need to pop the BS umbrella....
Lt Coast Gov

Justin Scott

As Class Prez, I've spread my love among the sailmakers over the last three years.

I have owned a suit of Hydes.
A suit of Doyle-Marblehead sails.
A Quantum sail.
North upwind sails.
Dieball chute and recently a North chute.
I've had the honor of sailing a chartered boat with Doyle Boston sails.

I've had great service and help both personally with sail trim and as class prez with help growing the class from all of our class sailmakers. A sailmaker has to be class approved and we are blessed with a very good selection of sailmakers who are supporting our small but rapidly growing class.

I cant believe that any of them are making much money from the Viper. I guess we must be fun, if marginally profitable customers! 

Lets give all our sailmakers a big hand of applause.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

<HUGE> Applause.

The sailmakers bust their butts to get it right and suck it up when they don't.

Next time you see one....buy him/her a beer :-D
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"