2011 Updates to calendar and site

Started by Kevin Blank, October 01, 2010, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Blank

It was mentioned in another thread that we need to nail down our 2011 racing dates.  I think we also need some updates on the site with updated boat/owner locations, maybe some new pictures and content, etc.  I know there's not a Viper icon on my town yet...

I know I haven't had a chance to make it to a Viper event yet being I'm still new and 2010 has been a busy year for me, but I think keep the information on the website current is vital to attracting new people to the boat.  I'm planning on hitting up a few Texas events and maybe over in Georgia in 2011.  Word of mouth does wonders for our class, but to reinforce that marketing with good, current information plus new pictures and video makes it 10 times stronger.

And I know we're all volunteers here, so if someone needs up with freshening things up or adding new features to the site, I'm your guy...  

Drew Harper

Kevin....call me. 415-867-8056.

I agree 10,000%

I can show you around our cludgy Joomla site. It's a pain in the butt to use, but once you figure out the workarounds, it's OK.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jeffrey Young

Suggestion.  Now that we no longer have the anonymity of usernames on the paid site (e.g., I was jacare), why not have the principal location of the poster or respondant.  E.g., Jeff Young, San Diego, or Drew Harper, San Francisco.  It would add nice information to the nation-wide or international discussion.  What do you think?  Jay?  Justin?

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Jeffrey Young on October 04, 2010, 11:48:19 PM
Suggestion.  Now that we no longer have the anonymity of usernames on the paid site (e.g., I was jacare), why not have the principal location of the poster or respondant.  E.g., Jeff Young, San Diego, or Drew Harper, San Francisco.  It would add nice information to the nation-wide or international discussion.  What do you think?  Jay?  Justin?

Ok, I've added a Profile Field called Location and told it to print along with your name -- now I just have to figure out why I'm not seeing it...

Darren Gilbert

I'm not a viper owner....yet.  But an idea i stole from the U20 site is a world map with pins on it for all the locations of boats/owners.  The one they have looks like it is out of date, but something similar and easier to use might work.

Also, a front page link with a old boat to new boat update check list might be very handy for potential owners so they know exactly what they're getting into.  This info is on the forums but you have to hunt around to find.  Could also help if they had a link to all 'fixit' pictures available.  I.E. the keel update pictures, the rudder post pictures, the safety line pictures etc.

Maybe update the Builder tab with some pictures of the boat in production...could be a big help when selling new boats as the boat is well built.

Just some ideas.
Cheers!
Darren
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Drew Harper

Thanks Darren....these are ALL GREAT ideas.

I'm going to bug Paul to get some shots done. I may fly to England to build a boat or two and I'll photo document the process.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Matt Rowlinson

Here are some pix I have of the build for # 70, which was the Rondar prototype.

Matt Rowlinson

Matt Rowlinson

Olaf Bleck

Neat.  Anyone got any shots of the inside of the Mark I boats?   Same ribbing layout?
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on October 12, 2010, 02:01:06 PM
Neat.  Anyone got any shots of the inside of the Mark I boats?   Same ribbing layout?

Those shots are Rondar Mark I, and the interior is the same as the original Bennett boats.  Actually, I think the internal ribbing is the same through ALL of the boats.

Justin Scott

Those shots are a Mk II which is identical to MkI
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee