Inhauling

Started by Michael Gravitt, October 01, 2010, 04:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Gravitt

I hear people talking about inhauling. Are they using a type of barber hauler or just using the lazy sheet? What wind speed do I need to start thinking of this?  I race PHRF every Wed. night and have a J-29 eating my lunch. I have only beaten him once on a triangle coarse in 25kts.

#44 "Bitten"

Ben Steinberg

if your not hiking, use the lazy sheet to pull the foot of the jib inboard to the seam of the deck. 

Drew Harper

Quote from: Ben Steinberg on October 01, 2010, 07:45:19 AM
if your not hiking, use the lazy sheet to pull the foot of the jib inboard to the seam of the deck. 

+1 with Ben on this. We start dropping inhaul at about 9 knots TWS.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Michael Gravitt

Thanks, I'm sure that I will sail the boat differently after Rye next week. All I've done is PHRF and I'm sure my angles are tighter than they should be. I think I'm sailing higher  uphill and hotter down than I should be.

Drew Harper

Viper targets are around 5.8 upwind with the jib inhauled and properly led, main on centerline.

Don't pinch. Best to foot 1? than to pinch. If the boat is over 5.8 constantly then you are footing, if it's not up to 5.8 then you're pinching. Bennett's tuning guide is a pretty good jumping off point to sailing a Viper. Study it.

Downhill we all like to get greedy...fast is fun...it's just not necessarily the fastest way to the leeward mark. Practice your angles and speed.

Leadmines are frustrating but fairly easily beaten once you understand the math.

Quote from: Michael Gravitt on October 02, 2010, 09:51:49 AM
Thanks, I'm sure that I will sail the boat differently after Rye next week. All I've done is PHRF and I'm sure my angles are tighter than they should be. I think I'm sailing higher  uphill and hotter down than I should be.

Peter Ruggiero

Drew,

Have you found the "polars" at the end of the North tuning guide, http://www.northsailsod.com/class/viper/viper_tuning.html, to be pretty accurate? (Even with say Hyde sails)

Drew Harper

Quote from: Peter Ruggiero on October 02, 2010, 02:52:01 PM
Drew,

Have you found the "polars" at the end of the North tuning guide, http://www.northsailsod.com/class/viper/viper_tuning.html, to be pretty accurate? (Even with say Hyde sails)

Nope Peter. They seem to be just general guesses to me. North uses a theoretical program. To develop true polars you need to put some wind instruments on the boat and sail it. 

Greg Jackson

Quote from: Drew Harper on October 02, 2010, 03:16:31 PM
Drew,

Nope Peter. They seem to be just general guesses to me. North uses a theoretical program. To develop true polars you need to put some wind instruments on the boat and sail it. 

Ouch!

Drew Harper

Quote from: Greg Jackson on October 03, 2010, 01:33:42 AM
Quote from: Drew Harper on October 02, 2010, 03:16:31 PM
Drew,

Ouch!

This isn't to say that North's Viper Pro, Ched Proctor, isn't a f'n wizard. The guy's forgotten more about sailing than most of us will ever know. He could probably guess the targets within 1/10th of a knot for most boats on the water.

Justin Scott

I used to barber haul with the lazy jib. Principal effect is that it opens the top of the jib and keep lower jib in tight. Seemed to work on gen 1 Hydes.  I dont bother any more.

I dont think I have ever heard Ched refer to polars while sailing or coaching on a Viper.

VMG downhill is a fairly obvious power surge and then no higher, or a sudden power drop and then hot it up a few degrees. But dont you find that you vary a lot from VMG because riding small waves or heating up/ soaking down to catch a puff to windward/leeward?

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Justin Scott on October 12, 2010, 07:22:27 PM
VMG downhill is a fairly obvious power surge and then no higher, or a sudden power drop and then hot it up a few degrees. But dont you find that you vary a lot from VMG because riding small waves or heating up/ soaking down to catch a puff to windward/leeward?   

Uh, mate, King's English please...!
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Justin Scott

Sorry. It was Saturday night's Budweiser English.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

Quote from: Justin Scott on October 12, 2010, 07:22:27 PM
I used to barber haul with the lazy jib. Principal effect is that it opens the top of the jib and keep lower jib in tight. Seemed to work on gen 1 Hydes.  I dont bother any more.

I dont think I have ever heard Ched refer to polars while sailing or coaching on a Viper.

You do vary from course, but not much from VMG. Max VMG = first to finish :-D

The Viper is a very intuitive sail, but there are still numbers to sail to that will help the newbs get up to speed faster.