I love my Viper

Started by Dan Tucker, September 24, 2010, 09:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Tucker

God help me. I just spent the first of 3 days driving a Sonar in the Sonar North Americans in Marblehead.

I can't wait till next Saturday when I can race the Viper in Greenwich.

'nuff said.
Race it like you stole it.

Dan Tucker

Three days of suffering in a leadmine have mercifully ended. While waiting for things like crossings and mark approaches, I had plenty of time to think of slogans for the Sonar class:

Slonar -It's a lumbering beast, but at least the helm is heavy!

or

Slonar -Dig a deeper hole!

or

Slonar -The anti-sportboat!

or

Slonar -For the old at heart! 

Seriously. Average chronological age probably not THAT much different than a Viper event, but wow, what an old & stiff crowd! (for the most part)

I don't really like to slag on another class, but the whole time I was thinking how much I'd rather be on an SB3, U20, M20 Shaw, Viper or ANY modern sportie. 18 knots and the boat just loads up, the stern squats down and digs a deeper hole, while the helm just loads up. Our bow guy usually does bow on a Farr 30 and we just couldn't believe what a slug that thing is. He'll be sailing the Vipe with me next season!
Race it like you stole it.

Matt Sole

This is what happens when you are spoiled and then have to go back to reality sailing...
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Somers Kempe

Give it time.

Sportboats = death to leadmines.
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Justin Scott

Quote from: Dan Tucker on September 27, 2010, 06:15:07 PM
Three days of suffering in a leadmine have mercifully ended. While waiting for things like crossings and mark approaches, I had plenty of time to think of slogans for the Sonar class:

Slonar -It's a lumbering beast, but at least the helm is heavy!

or

Slonar -Dig a deeper hole!

or

Slonar -The anti-sportboat!

or

Slonar -For the old at heart!  

Seriously. Average chronological age probably not THAT much different than a Viper event, but wow, what an old & stiff crowd! (for the most part)

I don't really like to slag on another class, but the whole time I was thinking how much I'd rather be on an SB3, U20, M20 Shaw, Viper or ANY modern sportie. 18 knots and the boat just loads up, the stern squats down and digs a deeper hole, while the helm just loads up. Our bow guy usually does bow on a Farr 30 and we just couldn't believe what a slug that thing is. He'll be sailing the Vipe with me next season!

Bruce Kirby designed both the Laser and the Slonar. After seeing the ads for the Laser II " Laser on Steroids" , I have always liked this as a tag line for a T shirt:-

"SONAR - IT'S A LASER ON VALIUM"
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee