Torqeedo for Viper

Started by Charlie Visser, September 07, 2010, 10:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Visser

Which Torqeedo model is appropriate for the Viper?
IceBear

Matt Sole

The light version that doesn't need a battery.....
;-)
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Charlie Visser

Long shaft or short? Foldable 401/801 or non-foldable 503/1003?
Leaning toward the 801 because sometimes it would be nice to fold it into its carrying case and stow beneath the foredeck.
IceBear

Greg Jackson

Charlie,

I have had  a 401 S for around three years, so the model number might have changed, and it works great.

I have never folded the thing, too much of a pain in the a@@, I just stick the battery in a dry bag at the sole of the mast and lash the battery between my old spinnaker turning blocks under the tiller and completely out of the way.

Greg

Charlie Visser

I assume the 401S means the short shaft. I would expect the transon mount is low enough on a Viper not to need the long shaft.
You meant you lash the shaft/prop part out of the way beneath the tiller?
IceBear

Drew Harper

I have an 801S (short shaft). Love the damn thing. Powers a Viper over 5 knots at half throttle.

The new version has an internal GPS that gives you range, remaining charge, etc.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

joshua charlton

I have the new one (1003), which has the added bonus of being totally waterproof.  I would recomment the short shaft and like Drew said, it powers you well enough, though I wish the battery would have a slightly longer life -- it loses charge fairly quickly at full throttle.  It's so nice to just tie it up to the mast and not have to worry about gas in your boat.

Greg Jackson

Quote from: Charlie Visser on September 08, 2010, 11:29:43 AM
I assume the 401S means the short shaft. I would expect the transon mount is low enough on a Viper not to need the long shaft.
You meant you lash the shaft/prop part out of the way beneath the tiller?

That's what I meant to say...

Charlie Visser

Thanks, folks. I am debating between the foldability of the short shaft 801 and the improvements of the 1003. Both seem to be more than adequate for the Viper.
Charlie
IceBear

Justin Scott

I use the Drew101. No gasolene involved.

I get about 3 knots from the Drew in conventional mode using the short shaft. But when I stick him up by the mast I get 4 knots.

Folds up nicely in front of the shrouds in light airs but hikes like a bastard when the breeze is up.

This year I have promised him a long shaft paddle.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

Quote from: Justin Scott on September 17, 2010, 04:24:09 PM

I get about 3 knots from the Drew in conventional mode using the short shaft. But when I stick him up by the mast I get 4 knots.

Folds up nicely in front of the shrouds in light airs but hikes like a bastard when the breeze is up.

God, I'm sure glad you said 'stick him up the mast' versus the alternative :-D
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Drew Harper on September 20, 2010, 12:06:18 PM
Quote from: Justin Scott on September 17, 2010, 04:24:09 PM

God, I'm sure glad you said 'stick him up the mast' versus the alternative :-D

Different Drew. Newer and better East coast model.

Dan Tucker has used the West Coast model and reports that it is heavier and finicky. You have to use choke to get it started or dowse it in alcohol.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee