Cunningham rigging

Started by Robert Bernard, August 26, 2010, 12:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Bernard

I purchased a viper a few months back and have managed to figure out on my own most of the rigging for this awesome boat. I cannot seem to figure out the cunningham however. If anyone has some photos or ideas i would love to hear them. I have the GNAV rigged to the two control lines that go back to center cockpit. I just can't seem to figure out the cunningham though. and the photos at APSLTD show TWO control lines running back. I don't have that setup yet my boat is hull number 76 (the photos are of 73).

Any help would be appreciated!!
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Tim Carter

According to the rules, the APS boat #73 is illegal....  "the controls for the cunningham cannot be lead aft more than 20cm. from the mast".   Some boats have a "headknocker" blk, like the spin halyard set up for the cunningham.  Others folks have talked about leading it to each side next to the jib halyard fine tune.  But I have not seen it done...
Lt Coast Gov

Matt Sole

The standard cunningham system is a 4:1 with the end lead through a jammer on the mast. Its really a bit rubbish. Running the lead the same as the  jib fine tune seems a bit much but it would be good to bring a tail to the rail.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Dave Nickerson

Here it is set up with cleat on both sides near the fine tune.  Old pics and aren't great, but hopefully you get the idea.  2:1 thru the grommet in the main then down the mast, thru a cheek block on the mast and forward to a 4:1 purchase under the deck.  Then splits to both sides.  A little bit of effort to set up initially, but work really well.  I can take some better shots some time if you are really intersted.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Dave Nickerson

Opps.  Meant to attach one more photo
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Matt Sole

That is a super sweet setup. Have you had any problems with it??? Any things you would do differently?
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Dave Nickerson

Got lucky and it's worked well from the start.  Wouldn't change a thing.  Can tighten while hiking, though you have to lean in a little to ease it.  A detail is that the cheek block on the mast has to be mounted a little bit aft of the center of the side of the mast so the cunningham primary purchase doesn't get pinched in the partners.  I can get you some detailed photos if you want, or come see the boat - we're about an hour away from Newport.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Matt Sole

I assume you are a CT man. Right now I am in Rockland Maine. So some photos would be great. I was getting pretty sick of the crappy cam cleat on the mast.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78