launching: boat-lift alternatives to using a hoist and/or a boat ramp

Started by Kay VanValkenburgh, October 10, 2007, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay VanValkenburgh

The question has come up sometimes: someone wants to dry sail a Viper, but does not have access to traditional launching facilities. What do they do?

Most owners launch their Viper from the trailer either with a hoist or on a boat ramp. However, I'm betting there are a lot of alternatives, e.g. floating boat lifts, pile-mounted boat lifts, or dock attachments. (found this blog: http://vbengelsdorff.blogspot.com/)

I don't have any experience with these systems. Anyone have any input? Looks like some are very affordable! (under $1500).

first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Justin Scott

A couple of boats in the Lake Norman fleet use their own pile mounted boat lifts........nice if you have your own waterfront real estate and can launch your boat from your own backyard. I will get pics when I am in Lake Norman.

Most places which have a drysailing area also have at least a basic ramp and they are very easy to ramp launch. 

Keeping a Vipe on a mooring is also good provided you use the right bottom paint.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Paul Gillard

have seen whats looks like an Ez Dock or something similar locally- wouldn't think it would be suitable for a Viper or 20' yacht- hard plastic surfaces with rollers. Maybe it could be adapted, dont know how you would lift the keel bulb over the front though.   Possibly they do a model for yachts but what I saw looked v. similar to that website photo.

Dan Tucker

There's a Slonar at Rochester YC on a piling mounted lift, so lift builders should have no problem figuring out how to do the same with a featherweight Viper!
Race it like you stole it.

Paul Zimmerman

At the Fort Worth Boat Club there were J105's on lifts at the docks.  Also J24's,22's and 80's all on lifts

Justin Scott

Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

From Rick Martin:- It's fascinating how different parts of the country employ quite different
strategies.  Nearly all of the lake hoists in my area are free standing
lifts like these:  http://www.shoremaster.com/lifts/standing/main.html
which sit on the bottom along side a dock.  Our docks and lifts have to
be readily removable for when the lakes freeze. I was planning to go
with the lighter and cheaper cantilever version, hoping to modify a used
one of which there are plenty.  With my assumed method the boat launches
and recovers straight out and in as it would on a trailer.  I want to be
able to do this all by myself so ideally I will only lower the boat
until it just begins to float on its own and is still somewhat contained
by the cradles.  Paul Young sent me a photo of the cradles he built for Dave Eve(Lake Norman) and I
agree his style is more secure than simple trailer supports. I'm
thinking I will need a gap in the aft cradle for the keel bulb to pass
through if I am to lower the cradles the minimum amount as I described.
I also have to work out a method of attaching the cradles to the bars on
the hoist, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
I also need a support for the keel to sit on when the boat's on the hoist such that the load is carried by the hoist
frame and not by the lifting tackle attached to the mast. What do folks cover the cradles with?  I plan to use automotive trunk
liner.  It's tough, non abrasive, dries quickly and offers a bit of
padding.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

From David Eve:-

Rick, congratulations on your boat order. As Justin has mentioned, I am
also looking at using some form of Cradle. The other 2 Vipers on my lake
have been sitting on the typical lift you would use for a Motor boat,
this the 2 boards running from front to back. I have had a long
conversation with Paul about the best way to store the boat on a lift,
and in the end Paul recommended making up some fiberglass cradles
(similar to the boat trailer).

Paul's concern with using the small cradles that are found on the
trailer, is due to the light weight of the boat, and that it is fully
rigged, so can easily be blown around. The cradles he has made up go
much further around the hull, close to the gunwale, and will also help
to center the boat, when loading back onto the lift. I believe that the
cradles are designed to go 1/3 in from the bow and 1/3 in from the
stern. I did not give him any fixed points, since the lift is not yet
installed and I have flexibility on where the supports can be located,
but I will need to find a way to fix them to the lift. I will send you
the dimensions when I get them from Paul.

I had Paul make these, since it is a lot easier, and he had a hull
upside down to use as a form. He is shipping these with the boat. I am in fact flying over
to England tonight for a quick visit with my parents, and since they
just happen to live within 20 minutes drive of Southampton (where the
boat is shipping from), I should get the opportunity to see the boat
prior to shipping. I will try to get a picture of the cradles at the
same time.

Viper - Mambo Kings

Greg Jackson

I'm going to be using a hoist to lift my Vipe at the NOODs this weekend. Does anyone have the line lenghts for a rope cradle? I can figure it out at the dock, but if someone already has the lengths to create the proper geometry I'll make it out of cable.

Thanks,

Greg

Erik Eaves

The dimensions we use for lifting are 137" from the hoist hook to the bow and 58.5" from the hoist hook to each of the lifting points in the cockpit.  These dimensions work well for us.

Thanks,
Erik

David Eve

I have finally gotten around to posting these pictures of the boat lift setup that I am using. The cradles were built by Rondar and were shipped with my boat. This has really made it convenient and easy to go out sailing at short notice. Our lake can vary in height by 8' during the year, and being in the south, we don't have to worry about the lake freezing.

David Eve

Dave Dougall

I wet sail my Viper #28 and have to raise/lower the keel each sail.  While it is at the dock, I simply insert a 2x4 that fits in between the keel top plate and the area of the hold down bolt holes at the aft end of the keel.  This way, I can release my vang that I use to raise the keel so there is no load on the rig.  I had to slightly tape the end of teh 2x4 to fit in the recess.  I figure that since the keel bolts to this point, it should be strong enough to support the keel by the 2x4.  I too am thinking of buying a hoist for the boat.  I did see the Sonar on its lift at Rochester YC.  It is a beefy unit.
Dave Dougall
Lake George NY

Somers Kempe

Have been looking into something ;like this type of lift; and keep it on a free swing mooring:
http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/floatlift.htm
The FL6012D version... and may need the retrofitted supports from above....  hmmm.

Justin -
What would be the proper bottom paint to use BTW?
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Kay VanValkenburgh

Interested if anyone has recently pursued any of the ideas/products mentioned in this thread. Anyone seen this product IRL with j70s on rollers? http://versadock.com/multigallery/v2-drysail/
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!