launching: boat-lift alternatives to using a hoist and/or a boat ramp

Started by Kay VanValkenburgh, October 10, 2007, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

This thread is quite the wayback machine.  I think David Eve had a good setup, but I don't know that I'd ever want my Viper to live long-term on something like that J70 setup.  Probably not great for the hull to have lots of smaller pressure points. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Peter Shirer

We just modified a Naylor boat lift using the trailer bunks seems to be working well and when its time to travel I'll just rebolt the bunks back on the trailer ... at least that's the plan

Peter Beardsley

Peter S.,

That looks like a pretty great setup - glad that you thought to strap the boat down - very important step.  Please keep us posted as to how it works out for you over time - maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to be able to use a similar setup.  Planning to finally use Rich Prieto's backyard hoist later this summer - https://www.viper640.org/usa-news/living-the-dream-part-1/
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

StrategerySailing

Is that hoist still working? Any design specs on it? Would love to put something like that at my house...

Peter Shirer

Working great so far. It has been tested in some good size storms and there is not even a wiggle from the boat.

The lift is rated for 1500 lbs. The important measurement was i believe 110 inches between cross members so the trailer bunks sit as close to the same place as on the trailer. This lift is made in Canada 🇨🇦 by a company called Naylor but im sure any boat lift manufacturer can fabricate something similar. The posts were  also made by Naylor and are pretty standard. They are approximately the same height as the vertical posts on trailer. There was a little fabrication to attach the posts to the bunks but that just involves drilling some holes in aluminum and buying some stainless bolts. The hardest part was undoing the bolts that held the bunks to the trailer.

I found the lift on kijiji so extremely affordable, as I said just kept looking for 1 with a 110 inch span and pulled the trigger.